Glass

Iwaizumi's POV

Even after so long, I've never felt so alone. Months after the accident I still get dreams, nightmares, playing the whole thing over again.

Me looking at the news. Me leaving to see Oikawa. And me seeing nothing but eternal darkness.

I didn't know it would be so bad after 2 years. There was the smallest shard of my torn up heart that thought eventually I would be happy. Eventually I would find love and everything would be back to normal again. But oh, how I knew that this would be impossible. Without Oikawa, it would never come true. 

Sometimes I would go to me and Oikawa's favorite spot to cuddle and rest - this big tree on a hill where it was secluded and windy. 

When I would lay there, alone, I long to hear his voice in the wind. Perhaps I could hear his spirit, talking to me. And I wouldn't be surprised at all. 

From the hill I could see the many buildings that Tokyo had. So this is what an angel sees when they look down on this imperfect world. This must be what Oikawa is seeing now.

As I walked back down the hill, strolling along the streets of Tokyo, I observed all the happy people. 

Kids, playing around like they had nothing to care about.

Best friends, talking to each other like it would never end.

Couples, holding hands like nothing could stop them.

And me, thinking that at one point, I was also happy.

I went into our favorite café, where I got some milk bread. This was Oikawa's favorite. I could almost imagine him laughing in this café, enjoying his food. I never really understood why he liked it so much - it was a simple dish. But it just reminded me of him.

"Iwa-Chan," I muttered under my breath. What he used to call me. I would be so annoyed whenever he would call me that. Now I would give anything to hear him say it again.

"Iwaizumi?" a familiar voice called from another table. 

I turned around almost immediately and saw Akira Kunimi, my former teammate at Aoba Johsai. 

"Kunimi? It's been so long! How have you been doing?"

"I'm just fine, getting along with life." Kunimi replies. 

"Tell me about it," I say. 

Kunimi asks "Why? What happened?"

I take a deep breath before replying. I didn't want to burst into tears in the café and have everyone staring at me like some sort of freak.

"Did you not see the news 2 years ago?" I asked unhappily, but didn't expect him to remember anything. 

"How could I forget? He was like a brother to me. I miss him so much." Kunimi says back.

In shock, I said "You and me both."

We talked for a while, exchanging numbers just to keep in touch in case we wanted to talk anytime soon.

I walked back to my apartment, still thinking about Oikawa. I couldn't get this man off of my mind.

I remember what he used to tell me. "You know, Iwa-Chan, hearts are like glass. It doesn't take much to make them break." 

I was never in my life so astounded at the words that came out of his mouth.