Dark Veils

It was The Dark Alley. Where you could find every pilfered, every looted importance. Rumors traveled with the wind, that The Dark Alley wasn't just where materialistic loot was opened for sale, the news reported here was as fresh as a knife cut on a finger trailing down the blood. Smuggling too happened here. Not just of commodities but also of information. Always the spicy information. Always.

"Harold." Greeted a familiar feminine voice in the busy narrow street hidden from the eyes of the government, the law, the police. The air was heated, with smoked stories, and strong mixture of fashionable drinks and the smuggled artifacts.

Just few more days, then you won't have to ever come here again. Ever. Said the mind of the lady dressed in dark veils.

"I hope that disappointment is not the thing I'll be taking home from here." She voiced her concerns. The day was very important to her. It might just be her only day. 

"Ah! do not worry Lady. We've worked it all out for you. Arranged everything. The crew's here." Said old Harold. You could find his eyes worn out yet sparkly, no one messed with this old smuggler who had given up on the field work now. All he did was arranging transport for the smuggles, prepare a crew and get everyone on board. 

"This way." He lead the lady to the den. Dim flickering lights and drunk atmosphere made her feel quite scared, but you have to do this. She kept thinking and found her way through. 

"The crew." Harold pointed towards a bunch of youngsters at the far end.

"Attention, lads. This is the lady you'll be sailing for." He puffed and coughed out for the third time.

Wonder why does he smoke so much if his body can't handle it anymore. She thought and looked away at the crew.

"Harold! Have you lost your mind? You brought me some young kids for sailing?" The lady looked at the old smuggler who just looked at her.

"Kids? You call them kids? Lady, let me tell you they're sixteen. They must work for the bread now." Harold yelled.

"You old sad man! Kids are supposed to be schooled at this age. For a better future. For getting a job. Damn. You bloody smuggler. You wasted my time!" The Lady yelled and never returned to The Dark Alley. 

To find Harold quiet after being yelled off  with disrespectful words that too by a woman was a rare sight to see. A pair of eyes who had been watching all this felt this difference. 

"Who was that, Old Harold?" The question was raised.

"The Charlotte." He answered and fresh tears sprang out from his tired eyes. 

"The Charlotte..the Charlotte.." He murmured as they people around brought him to the table.

"You must help her, you must...I wasn't able to...I wasn't able to..." He murmured looking at the figure who saw everything what had happened and asked him the question.

"Harold, alright, Okay, stay calm. First drink some ale." A drunk friend came over to him.

"Shut up Arnold! Get him some water!" The shadowed figure raged with fury.

"You do know that I have a wife and two beautiful beautiful kids who are working for a bright future?" Harold said.

"Yes, I know." The figure replied.

"Do you know why I didn't keep them with me, here? Because I didn't want them to grow up like me. To go through hell like me. I wanted to see them living. This life, here in this Alley, there's no such thing as life. It's dead in here." 

"She's the one who helped me out of the problem years ago. She keeps them safe. And today when she's in trouble.. I'm too old and worn out to help.. I tried hard to find a crew for her, but it's just not possible. She's the freedom, and she's at stake. The Charlotte can't be in chains! "He coughed.

"Go Arthur. Please go and save The Charlotte. AND NEVER RETURN!" He yelled at last with all his might, leaving the dark sad life forever, to finally find peace. At last.

But the tranquil life of Arthur was derailed like a wrinkle in the waters. He cared for Harold more than anyone did. As if Harold was his own father. And now he'd surely obey his last orders. Go away, help The Charlotte. And never return.