chapter 20

A soft beat filled my ears, fitting in tune with my heart. I could feel a weight attached to my finger tip, wrapped tightly against my skin. I opened my eyes slowly, bright light flooding my senses, leaving me almost blinded by the complete contrast. 

I blinked a few times, until light became shapes became objects. I frowned to myself, finding myself in a small bed with thin sheets laying across my limp body. Tight bandages pressed against my side painfully as I try to sit up, groaning to myself groggily in the process. My heart begins to beat faster, thoughts running through my brain. I panic suddenly, wondering if I have been returned to hell, if I am to be punished for my actions. For my disreguard for my mission. What Hades would do if he knew I had kissed an angel - the biggest enemy of hell - shook me to my core. It would be far worse than any book-throwing I had ever experienced. I gupled hard, trying to focus on where ever the hell I was.

Only then did I notice the sillouette of a girl leaving the room, a soft, glowing light but centimeteres above her head. I squint at her, distinguishing her features. I suddenly find myself smiling, realising who it was visiting me.

"Where you going, Charlie?" I catch myself giggling. She turned on her heels, her winter coat swinging with her as she looked at me. She held her own hand close to her heart as she looked at me, relief filling her features.

"Oh... hey." She muttered, brushing her brunnette hair behind her ear. She stood there for a second on back foot, considering whether to stay or to leave, until she gentally walked over to the bed.

"Uh, do you know where we are?" I asked cautiously. She raised one eyebrow before answering.

"What, did you forget what happened in the fight?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I think aloud. "I just got cut by a small knife." I brush the idea off. 

In hell, if that had happened to me - which it had, just not by a pocket knife - I would have to keep going. Thats just how it was in the outskirts of the underworld. 

See, there's different areas in hell. It's not just one small place, I mean it does hold the souls of sinners, the half-blood demons and the 'pure' demons. For many years I had lived with hades in his palace, where there were vast libraries and old demons tending the hell hounds. But when I left that place with Eva, I was forced to live in the brutal outskirts. Fighting was daily and remorseless. But the worst part? Nobody ever questioned it. It was... Normal.

"Never do that again." I blinked out of my memories and look into the soft eyes of the angel.

"What do you mean?" I ask, raising the corner of my lip slightly.

"I don't know..." she whined, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Get hurt. Be sent to hospital. Make me worry about you," she trailed off. I smile softly at her. Not a happy smile or a forced smile. Just a relaxed acceptance of her.

"I'm sorry." I say, half shocked at my words, half knowing with ever inch of my burnt soul that they were true.

"What?" she giggles. "you're the one who got stabbed for me, I should be the one apologising." Her eyes are watery but she doesn't look away from mine.

"No, I mean..." I breathed. "I'm sorry that I kept what I am from you, and what you are. You deserved to know, and I'm sorry." she softly held my hand, fingers resting elegantly on top of mine.

"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did. I know you, and that's all that matters." she wiped her eyes with her other hand, looking up at the ceiling. " I guess... I guess I just got scared, y'know? 'cause... I was always told that a demon would try to steal my soul." she sniffed. I squeeze her hand, my eyes trained on her as I listen intently to her. "And then you come along." she looks at me finally, her eyes red.

"Bad timing, huh?" I asked playfully. She smirked to her self, shaking her head softly.

"Yeah... Not the best." she mutters, head hung low.

I instinctively pull her towards me, my arms wrapped around her slender neck. I can feel her arms resting sweetly around my waist, her fingertips sending butterflies throughout my body. I could feel my hip aching where her palm sits but I don't care. She nestled her face into the crook of my neck, and I listen intently to her soft breaths. I hear her mutter three syllables to herself, but I don't bother ask her what she said. Instead, I relish in the moment.

Just then, I hear the doors barge open loudly and chatter fill the air. Charlie is the first to pull away as soon as the door opened, flustered.

"Rina!" Smiled Becky enthusiastically. A total change from the last time we spoke. She runs up and pulls me into a tight and abrupt hug, laughing. I look over to the angel, she smiles softly, her cheeks bright red.

"Don't suffocate her, Becks!" Mathew laughs, using a nickname I had never heard him use before. "She's in hospital for a reason."

"Sorry," she sings. "We've all been so worried about you, it's nice to see you alright." she smiles more. Mathew joins her, slinging his arm over her shoulder despite being a good few centimeteres shorter. Frankie finally joined us, sitting awkwardly in the hospital chair by my bed. In a matter of minutes they had filled the medically clean room with loud chatter and laughter in a way I hadn't seen before.

Even after they were all asked to leave by the stout nurse that smelt of cigarettes, I thought to myself that maybe, just maybe, whatever Hades has planned for me couldn't really be that bad at all. Quite possibly, it would all be worth the hell I'll be put through.

Then again, thoughts are very dangerous things.

A/N Happy 2015! :D Sorry this took so long, I had this planned for just after Christmas and now look.

After 1 year and 20 chapters, not human hit 4k! I honestly didn't expect anything like that when I started writing this in my little note book, so thank you so much! I hope you all have a fantastic year (even tho I'm a lil late to say it)