𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓣𝓻𝓲𝓸.

He was a paradox for her.

The way his large hands had held her, as if she were the most fragile of glass. The way his bearded chin gently laid atop her head. The caress of his raven hair against her creamy skin. His tall and rigid stature, that mixed so well with her own petite curves. The almost painful way their breaths seemed to mix within each other.

It was clear as day, their energies wanted nothing more than to merge with the other. However, their unfortunate circumstances were a constant source of distance.

The more she remembered how he felt against her, the more she drowned herself in her sorrow. And it somehow comforted her, that he was doing the same. Albeit, she wasn't sure if he was drowning in her or his dead wife.

She realized it seemed morbid, being comforted by the thought of him drowning himself in thoughts of her; however, that was all she had. This love of hers for someone who couldn't reciprocate, was bringing out the worst emotions from her. This love was bringing to her nothing but pain.

Pain.

Pain was the only string of connection between her and him.

And she was content. Content with being in pain. If this was her fate then be it. She would not revolt. She would not complain. She would continue to live like this for however long her Lord intended her lifetimes to continue. Existence in itself, is pain.

What transpired after that first and last embrace between her and him, was all a blur. Perhaps, they spent an eternity in each other's arms, or perhaps it were merely a few passionate minutes. Whatever the nature of time spent, she felt fulfilled. Perhaps he did too. Keeping her feelings to herself was the most gut-wrenching time of her life. She now felt free, having poured out her love to him.

And as she stood there, on her balcony - ignoring the chaos reigning supreme in her court, neglecting her duties for a night of freely feeling, she couldn't help but notice how the clear night sky, glistened with diamonds, bringing glory to the crescent moon. Even the sky felt free. Her obsidian orbs reflected with the shining stars, were devoid of any tears. Perhaps she had run out, or perhaps not.

The crisp cool air blew against her warm skin, making her close her eyes. It had been ages since she felt this peace - this beautiful silence. Her raven her cascaded down her thighs, curls slightly bouncing.

All she focused on was the night. Her peaceful meditation was however, short-lived.

🥀 All I ask, is if this is my last night with you? Hold me like I'm more than just a friend. Give me a memory I can use, take me by the hand while we do what lovers do. It matters how this ends, cause what if I never love again?"🥀

Sometimes she wished she didn't have such strong sense of hearing. All she wanted was to stand in peaceful silence forever.

But she heard the mahogany door creak open.

A castle made by superior deities and the doors somehow managed to creak.

As the door closed back again, she calmed down. It was Howl.

"It's you."

"Yes."

"I assume there is news...", Ishtar spoke with melancholy.

"Indeed."

She took a minute to recollect her thoughts and being herself back down to reality. She had to remember that she wasn't just a quirky princess who could spend her days and nights wallowing over her romantic feelings for a man. She had duties. Serious duties, that if she failed to perform could bring chaos to the the higher order she fought to maintain. She needed to rely on her strength of mind, not just her position in the hierarchy.