FORGOTTEN LETTERS

The rain poured down the roof like crazy hoof beats pounding on mud. Frogs croaked cheerfully in a beautiful chorus as if singing a symphony with the raindrops. The heavy-laden rice stalks nodded to the rhythm of the blowing breeze.

Sophie exhaled a miserable breath as visions flooded her mind while looking at the vibrant field expanding miles and miles of golden stalks ready to submit to the cruel scythe. Memories of the past raced across her mind like flashes of forgotten pictures. The tune of the raindrops sounded like distant drums playing while he held her delicate hands as they dance mirthfully, oblivious of the people around them. Frog croaks sounded like his hoarse voice as he sings her a love song she still remembers to this day.

She hates the rain. It reminds her of how his soft palm caressed her naked cheeks. It reminds her of his undying kundiman. It reminds her of the day he professed his love to her bearing all the confidence the world can offer. It reminds her of his smell, like assaulting petrichor combined with the smell of freshly-cut grass. It reminds her of the first day they met, the red umbrella, the acacia tree, the waterfalls, the rain-soaked rice paddies, the banana leaves swaying in the wind. It reminds her of everything about him, everything that crumbled to dust.

She clutched a small wooden box in her hands trying her best not to let a single teardrop escape from her already swollen eyes. She carefully opened the box. Peering into the content, she saw a bunch of unopened epistles boring her name.

"You weren't answering my letters." He said the day before his wedding.

"Letters? I received not a single letter from you!" she said looking puzzled.

"I send you letters every single day. And I received no answer." He replied looking mournful.
She creased her forehead. "That's it? Just because you didn't receive a response to your letters, you're marrying my cousin? Is that it?" Her nostrils were flaring.

"No!" he said trying to reach for her hands.

She shoved him away. "Why is it so easy for you to forget me?"

"I did not!" his eyes swelled. "I did not forget you nor would I ever do."

"Then why?!"

"I was framed. I wrote a letter to you on that day. They told me you've married another man. I got myself drunk. The moment I woke up, I was lying on bed fully-clothed with Victoria, her parents were storming on me."

She closed her eyes to shake the memory off but a new one battered her mind.

"I'm sorry, senyorita, but I can't keep it a secret anymore. Carding keeps sending you letters every day but they never grazed the post office. Your mother made me keep them so as to keep Carding from bugging you." His old nanny said, tears cascading on her old face.

She fished out a scented letter from the wooden box, opened it gently, and read the contents. The forgotten missive blew her a kiss from the past. Her hands quivered as her eyes brushed through the disremembered sentences.

Outside, the rain stopped like a fading song, slowly drifting into the void while the wind swept sour petrichor into her soul.