XXIX. Bathe

Angela was wearing down. Pretending she was still oblivious and dodging a very determined man was taking a toll on her. She was beginning to get thin, and her headache was getting worse again.

She was starting to get scared that she was going to forget everything again and fall back into Isaac's clutches.

The carriage jerked to a half for the mid-meal break. Emilia made a relieved sound and threw the door open. "Finally! I'm starving!"

Liv followed her sister, Ann and Millie followed, and Angela was about to get out herself when Fox's voice stopped her.

The girl lifted her head and peered due south - right where Angela's bond to Ryder was pulling.

"The emerald is coming for his angel," Fox murmured. "And brings the wrath of hell at his heels."

Angela was startled, making the connection finally. The emerald was Ryder, she was certain of it. And she meant Angela by 'the angel'.

Fox knew Ryder was coming. Angela glanced outside of the carriage before turning to Fox.

"Fox, when he gets here," she hesitated, making sure she couldn't be overheard before finishing. "I'm going to leave. Would you want to come with me?"

Fox blinked her doe eyes at her, looking puzzled, as if Angela already knew the answer.

"The angel will leave. The emerald will follow. The drowned will sink."

Angela pursed her lips, as that wasn't really the answer she was looking for.

"What do you mean, 'the drowned will sink'?"

Fox tilted her head, playing with her fingers. "The drowned. Gone to the depths." Her eyes turned down to her fingers. "A runt. A crown. Stars. Three stars." 

Angela was sad when she realized that her time was up. Fox had disappeared into her mumbling again.

Maybe she could try later. She didn't want to leave the fragile girl with such a brute like Isaac.

A sharp sting of pain from the Black Bond in her mind had her wince. It definitely didn't like when she thought poorly of the man she was bonded to and punished her for the action.

Which was why she tried not to think about him.

With a sigh, she got out of the carriage. The girls were all squealing and Emilia caught Angela's arm, dragging her along.

"There's a lake nearby. Come on, Angel! Time to wash up!"

Millie sighed, patting her rich brown curls. "I really need this. My hair is yucky."

"Definitely!" Ann agreed. "I feel like I'm covered in mud."

Liv just nodded her agreement, unable to speak. Angela turned to see Fox trailing behind her as the girls dragged Angela to the lake.

It wasn't very large, but looked inviting. Angela herself felt rather filthy, but was uncomfortable when the girls began to strip and hop in.

She saw Fox sitting on the edge of the lake, dipping her toes in, but otherwise didn't get in. She was about to head that way when Ann caught her arm.

"Come on, Angel! The water's nice, I promise."

Angela shook her head. "No thanks. I'd rather sit with Fox."

Ann frowned. "Are you embarrassed?"

"Oh, no. I just," she lowered her voice so no one else could hear her and lied. "I can't swim."

"Oh, dear." Ann tutted. "I guess Isaac will just have to teach you."

Angela felt a flash of panic. "No, that's fine-"