Chapter 4

As Y/N parked in the program's parking lot, she reached over to shut off her kpop playlist and watched Nayeon walk inside without noticing her. She raised her hand to wave, but the girl was already gone. She saw Mina get out of her car though and took the keys out of the ignition and stepped out to greet her.

"How have you been?" she called, speedwalking to reach her at the door, which Mina held open for her. They hadn't seen each other since their day at Nayeon's apartment.

"I've been okay. You?" She pursed her lips and whispered, "And Nayeon?"

Nayeon had broken the news to her once she was sure she was relaxing at home and not freaking out over almost missing dance class. She'd congratulated them, admitting she was surprised but happy for them all the same.

"We've been texting a lot," Y/N said. She hadn't seen her since their day at the apartment either, but it was almost like they'd been connected at the hip with how much they'd been talking to each other.

"I'm sure," Mina laughed. "With how much you used the groupchat, I can only imagine how much you two were talking by yourselves." She still spoke quietly as they walked toward the office, and Y/N was grateful she was keeping their secret.

"What do we have up first today again?" she asked, speaking louder now and holding the door to the program open for Mina.

"DBT I think," Mina said. "Thank you."

They both shrugged off their jackets as they approached the break room table, hanging them on the backs of their chairs as they sat down.

"Hey, Nayeon," Y/N said softly. She wanted to touch her gently and even went to lay a hand on her shoulder but refrained. She saw Sam at the other table and didn't want him or anyone to read into the gentleness of a touch like that.

Nayeon smiled softly as she took her headphones out. "Hey. You ready for DBT?"

Y/N frowned as she took in her appearance. She looked good- amazing, in fact, with a full face of makeup (not that she needed it) and a beautiful black dress on. But there was something off about her. She looked hunched over- like she was folding inwards. She looked small, whether she was trying to or that was just how she felt. But that was not Nayeon, the big personality she knew.

"Are you okay?" Y/N asked, reaching out this time to hold a hand wrapped around one of her earbuds. Nayeon quickly pulled it away, and Y/N's frown deepened, a stinging sensation in her chest.

Nayeon's face softened, seeing the hurt in Y/N's. "Sorry. I'm fine. I'm just... tired. I didn't get any sleep last night," she explained. She held Y/N's hand under the table, giving it a light squeeze for good measure before gently dropping it.

"If you say so," Y/N said, pursing her lips. She really thought that Nayeon looked like she needed help, which was fine if that was the case. But she needed to know to give it to her. "Genuine?" she asked suddenly.

Nayeon smiled weakly. "Genuine."

"Alright. Who's ready to get started?" Logan suddenly stepped out of his office, trusty tablet in tow, and gestured for the group to move over to the conference room.

David jogged into the break room, wiping a hand across his forehead. "Just made it," he said, sighing in relief. "My alarm didn't go off this morning."

"Glad to see you made it," Logan replied, opening the door wider for him to pass through. Sam and the girls followed behind them.

Y/N paused as Nayeon sat in her usual seat by Logan, considering sitting by her other side, but she didn't want to look too suspicious and decided to sit in the corner instead like always. Mina sat a few seats over, trying not to look at either of her friends and failing, but she glanced shyly at David and Sam and Logan too to make up for it.