I Love Boats: Part 3

Guerneville, California
August 6, 1981

"Hi, Mamma." Avery greets, dropping his bags and hugging his mother. "Hi, Dad."
"It's so good to have you here, honey. You too, Chet. My, you look so handsome young man." Avery's mother says, hugging her son's partner. "I'm so happy to have you both here with us. Chet, you're going to love the lake. We have our own boats so Avery can bring you out to go fishing, and there's such beautiful hiking trails."
Chet just smiles and nods, his hands hanging at his side. "I'll go put our bags down."
Avery kisses his cheek, the Mast family watching as he walks slowly towards the stairs. "I was really hoping he'd snap out of it as soon as we got out of the city."
"Oh, dear, he just needs time. What was it that happened?"
"He was working the night shift at the pet store he works at. They have a lot of cash on hand and this group of teens tried to rob the place cause they thought their friend was working. Chet was covering for him. They had guns but they weren't loaded. Chet still thought they were gonna kill him. He was terrified. He hasn't really been the same for the last few days. The cops said the kids are probably gonna get some juvie but Chet won't go back to work. Luckily his boss gave him a week and a half off. He doesn't want us to sue."
"I think you should sue." Avery's father says. "He could have been killed and all his boss can offer is a week and a half? And things won't change. Chet will go back and the security will be exactly the same. It could happen again. I could get my lawyer on the phone and have him here for dinner."
"Oh, Phillip. It will only upset Chet." 
"Yeah, Dad, it's not a good idea. Chet's already had to talk to the cops. He just wants to forget it."
"I'm sorry, son. I thought it might help. I don't want another call from you saying that your partner was held at gunpoint. Especially because next time it could be a call saying that he didn't make it out."
Avery's mother smacks her husband's arm. "Darling, you're going to upset our son."
"Better to be upset now than devastated if it happens later, Ima."
"Enough of you, Phillip. Let's just leave it be. Avery knows what's best for his partner. Is that what we're calling him?"
"You could just call him my boyfriend. It's the same as if I had a girlfriend, he's just a man." Avery laughs. "I'm gonna go check on him, help him unpack. He's not picky so anything you want for dinner is fine."
"Alright, honey. We're so happy to have you home."

Avery launched himself onto the bed, landing straight on Chet's pile of clothes. "Av!"
Avery pulls Chet onto the bed. "Lighten up, Babe. We came here to have fun, relax, and get away from the busy city. The summer is crazy in LA."
"Don’t pretend you didn't bring me out here cause you think I'm about to have a breakdown. I'm fine, Avery. I'm fucking fine."
Avery flips Chet under him. "No you're not. You jump at every sound. You've barely said anything since it happened. All day all you do is lay on the couch with Mork and watch TV. You haven't even been for a walk let alone tried to go to the gym. I just want you to be okay, Babes."
"I had a shotgun pointed at my face. I thought I was gonna die over two hundred and thirteen dollars. I thought I was never gonna see you or Mork or Kayden again. I, I don't wanna die young." 
Avery kisses Chet's forehead. "I don't want you to die either. And you're not going to. I know it was scary, Babe, but you're safe now. The woods are safe. Tomorrow we're gonna go fishing on the lake, the most relaxing place I've ever been."
Chet finally smiles. "Okay, I believe you, Av."
"You might wanna take a shower before dinner cause you're starting to stink."
"That's you you're smelling."
"Talking like that is how you get yourself fucked dry."
"Trying to shove your dry dick in my ass is how you get bitten."
"You wouldn't bite me." 
"Try putting your dick in me right now and I'll show that the fuck I will bite you."

Later

“Dinner is delicious,” Chet says, smiling up at Avery’s mother, “Thank you so much, Mrs. Mast. You’ve both been so welcoming.”
“Oh, of course, Chet. Avery cannot speak more highly of you, and you’ve been so wonderful to have here. We thought our Avery would never settle down and you’ve got him got him ready to play house.” Ima says. “You’re a miracle worker.”
“Oh, I wouldn’t call myself that.” Chet blushes, glancing over at Avery. “But I really have to thank you for letting us stay with you, we needed a break from the city.”
Ima and Phillip exchange a glance. “Of course, dear, you’re part of the family now.” 
A long and awkward silence comes across the dinner table, everyone working on their meal while avoiding eye contact with each other. As Chet finishes his meal, a beautiful grilled salmon fillet with garden fresh vegetables and fresh baked bread, he makes the mistake of looking up at Avery’s parents. He swallows the last mouthful and smiles, stuck in eye contact with Avery’s father. 
“So, Chet,” Phillip starts, “Avery said you’re training for the Olympics. What’s uh, what’s your sport?”
“The pommel horse.”
“Oh, that’s nice.” Phillip glances at his wife again. “We used to think Avery could be Olympic ready, until his-”
“This conversation is done.” Avery stands, grabbing Chet’s hand. “Chet’s exhausted, he needs to rest.” He pulls Chet into his arm and guides him out of the dining room. 
Phillip closes his eyes. “He hasn’t told Chet.”