Part 5 - Why So Cold?

"Show me your hunting crouch again." Frost grunted to Lucky, who slid down into position, making sure that his tail was held still. 

Frost began speaking again. "Now, when hunting birds, it is important that you remember to..." his voice faded into the background as the black fox's attention was drawn to a couple of SkyWatch members, who were growling at each other angrily. This had seemed to be happening a lot recently, following the death of Tundra, which had been a few months ago. The weather had started to chill, leaves turning the first few leaves. Another big storm had taken place a few days ago as well, swelling the river and flooding some gopher holes. The area over there was wet and marshy now, and he'd also heard that a Patroller den had been flooded, resulting in a small group of Fahn'xyl coming to the Watch. The already crowded Watch was having a hard time accepting the new members. Brook and Flash had not been among said group. Lucky did worry about his little brother, admittedly.

Food was another problem. You'd have to go pretty far from the Watch to get any good hunting before anyone else did. That was one advantage the Patrollers had.

"Now, do you understand?" The Ahn'sirith finished his lengthy sentence, blinking. Lucky shuffled his stance and nodded. Silence.

"What did you want me to do again?"

"Leap!"

Lucky didn't need another word. He bunched his muscles and pushed off of the ground. His paws, wet and slick with water, slipped back, and he awkwardly landed, sliding on his belly fur. Embarrassement burned his pelt. Frost shook his furry head and padded toward him. The black Fahn'xyl jumped to his paws with haste. "I'm sick and tired of doing the same old thing." he huffed. "Pups are taught to do this- we taught ourselves to! Why do I need you to teach me?" He sat on his haunches and wiped mud from his belly fur.

"You're acting like a pup." Frost snapped, fur rising. Not giving the chance for Lucky to interject, he continued. "So, maybe I'll teach you more advanced moves once you grow up."

Lucky's claws dug into the earth and he whipped around, shoulders tense. Without saying another word, he stormed off, head low. All he wanted right now was to get away from the Watch. He could feel the eyes of bystanders boring into his fur. Why do they care? It's none of their business!

* * *

There was a loud crash, followed by a flock of fleeing birds. "I just can't get it!" a voice echoed.

"Oh, you'll get it, Flash." Brook assured him. "You were much closer than last time. You just need to remember to focus on your prey. Like you do when you're eating."

"Harr harr, very funny." Flash straightened and licked his chest fur. 

"Do you want to try again?"

"No... not right now. I'm kinda hungry." As though to validate his claim, a gurgle erupted from his belly. 

"Then we'll have to return to our food cache." The vixen barked, turning. She was followed by her friend. Yes, she considered him such now. They had been together since the day Tundra's death was announced. Flash had been working on his hunting, and had gotten a little better every day. 

In addition to this, Brook had not dreamt since her dream of the mysterious foggy woods with the gray wolf. Sometimes, though, she thought she could whiff its scent. She shivered at the thought.

The woods thinned out and grassland opened before them. The air no longer smelled of fresh greenery, but of cold and rain. There was a sort of scent in the air- an autumn-y scent; like the one you get when you walk through the woods in November, dry leaves crunching under your feet and fluttering down from bare branches to graze your cold pink cheeks and frost-bitten nose. A quiet fills the air, and the creek trickles down before you, water fresh and ice-cold. The sun sets earlier than it does in the summer, the red and orange rays reaching across the horizon as it sets.

Flocks of birds now patiently perched in the topmost branches of trees, waiting for their time to leave and head south for the winter. Their feathers were fluffed out against the autumn chill. Their chicks were grown up now, having survived from spring, through summer, to now. They were ready to make their first trip along with their family. Flash observed a magpie flying above them all. They didn't go far in winter, usually just hunkering down or moving farther away in hopes of finding more food.

There was slight movement in the bushes ahead. In synchrony, the two split ways and flanked the bush where their food was stored. Something was eating it. Brook narrowed her maya eyes, parting her jaws to drink in the scent. Flash had clearly beaten her to the punch, head up and eyes wide. "Lucky?"

The tod backed out of the bush, licking his teeth. Brook angrily bared her teeth. "What are you doing out here?"

"What does it look like?" He snapped back.

"It looks like you're stealing prey." Brook narrowed her eyes. Lucky didn't look over at her. "But why are you out here in the first place?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that the forest belonged to you as well. Forgive me of my ignorance, Ahn'Brook." He bowed deeply. 

"She's right to ask, Lucky." Flash said, not seeming to care much for his actions. His eyes looked worried. "Did something happen at the Watch?"

Getting up out of the odd position, the dark fox sat, brown eyes trained on his brother. "No. Everything is fine. I just wanted to come see you."

Brook watched Flash carefully, as Lucky's back was turned to her, hiding expression. She saw her younger companion's eyes twitch for a moment before Lucky approached his sibling, crouched with his ears back and a sort of smile on his face. "It's good to see you, brother."