XLII | Royal Circus

A Maiden.

Of course, where else could she be but the Palace, away from everyone's eyes, serving the High Priestess?

Sasha was surprised that she managed to maintain her composure, but then why not? The woman looked like her mother.

But the smile on her lips was different. It was one that did not know how to truly laugh.

"Gabrielle has told me that West Blackwood is tracking down Reginald."

Sasha blinked, clearing her mind to proceed with what was at hand. She had too many questions and they would be answered by this woman.

"Would you like to sit down?" Arielle offered.

Sasha looked behind her at the settee and sat down. Arielle took the winged chair opposite hers. So graceful, so elegant. Sasha had never seen anyone like this woman. Aliya may compare, but it was easier to read Aliya than the mysterious lady sitting across from her now. Mayhap it was the fact that she had been one of the Elected children and that Sasha had been looking for her.

"Your first question must be why Gabrielle is involved in this," Arielle started, the small smile on her lips never wavering. "I ordered for her to find out what West Blackwood is doing. The crown prince, with the help of Belcourt, managed to intercept a suspicious letter from London."

"You and the prince work together?"

Arielle's smile widened. "Of course. Why would we not be?" When Sasha did not respond, Arielle sighed with understanding. "The prince and I have reached a certain kind of truce, Sasha. Belcourt helped our father ascend to the throne. I have no desire to change anything, considering Belcourt and the kingdom have one common enemy." Even her blink was delicate. "I do not consider myself a princess for I am one of the seven Maidens of Belcourt and I shall forever remain as one."

A young girl cloaked in purple, with her face hidden in the shadow of her hood, quietly entered the room to serve tea. An Elected, Sasha surmised. Without a word, the young girl left, allowing Sasha a moment to think and organize her thoughts while Arielle picked up her cup and sipped. "Do you believe West Blackwood, Sasha? Everything he told you about finding me and saving me from Reginald?"

Sasha did not answer.

Placing her tea back on the table, Arielle's light blue eyes never left Sasha. "Perhaps I should start with Willoghby."

"Gabrielle has been following him."

Arielle nodded. "Upon my orders, yes. He is the source of the intercepted letter we received from the prince. As the owner of the Sutherland Post and that horrible magazine, The Grimes, Willoghby has reach all over Sutherland and beyond. It is only expected that he is a good source of information, useful or otherwise. Albert brought the attention directly to me and we organized a plan. We needed to know more and at that time, we thought we can push Willoghby a little more, without his knowledge of course, so he would pursue the matter."

"You planned for me to be recourted."

Arielle nodded. "It was easy to find Willoghby's interests, shall we say. He loves women with brown, wavy hair. And whenever he is obsessed, Willoghby goes to great lengths to get what he wants. And as if by luck, West Blackwood handed his application to Belcourt. We could not just take any Belle with brown hair, can we? We needed someone fresh and innocent for both men."

Sasha's jaw tightened and her hands closed into fists.

"Willoghby took interest in you just as we expected. You were in Coulway—easily accessible to him, fueling his madness even further."