Pain

My eyes started feeling heavy as I was sitting on a bench just outside our house. I started to feel cold as it was already 11:00 pm. It was tempting to close my eyes yet I fought the temptation to do so.

"What are you doing outside here, darling?" a voice behind me asked, it was mom.

"It's pretty cold outside here, having some time alone?" it was dad.

"Nothing much. And yes, I'm having some time alone." my voice was sharp and it sounded mean, but I can't help it. These are the people I will hate 'til I die.

Their smiles disappeared and they both sighed knowing that the hatred I'm feeling is starting to grow again. But I think they still didn't understand what I am trying to imply; I want them to fucking step back, go to their fuckong room, fucking sleep, and to fucking mind their own fucking business.

Rude? I've experienced worst.

Silence enveloped us but I can feel their warmth as they both sat beside me syde by side.

"You know--" my mom started.

"I don't know." I cut her off, I don't want them here.

"Don't be like that to your mom!" dad said.

"My mom? Is she really?"

"Alam namin na ang sama na ng tingin mo sa'min bilang mga magulang mo. But, Eve, it was an accident I swear. Your lola, she--" My lola?!

"Don't you dare drag mama here, she was the only person that stayed true to me. I'm adopted, period." I said as if I didn't care but bitch i felt like my whole existence was a lie: My surname is a lie, my 'family' is a lie, everything I knew was a lie. And mama? Siya lang ang tanging taong nagmahal sa'kin ng totoo. Sa panahon na pinahiya ako ng dalawang taong 'to, nariyan si mama sa tabi ko, hindi niya ako pinabayaan ano man ang mangyari, unlike these two.

They both looked at each, their eyes were sad but I'm sure that it was all an act.

"We adopted you when you were a baby--"

"I said get lost!"

"--Your mom was my sister!."

I stared at her, dumbfounded.

"We had a fight that day. The day after you were born. She hated you, Eve and it was all my fault. I was full of hatred because she was trying to get your dad away from me. So I decided to get revenge, sinet up ko siya sa bestfriend niya sa isang hotel, I told him to act like Ronan para matuloy ang plano. The plan worked but my sister hated me every day of her life."

What? How come I didn't know this before?

"Lies." I said then I saw her looked at me painfully as tears was becoming visible from her eyes. Before she could cry, she looked away.

"It's true, Eve. After that, your lola hated us. She hated me for forgiving the woman I truly love. Pinalayas niya kaming dalawa, pinutol niya rin ang koneksyon namin. But after a week or so, she called, saying your real mom was dead from drunkdriving. We quickly rushed to the hospital but when your lola saw us, she lost it. She was mad, she was blaming us for everything, buntis si Sandra, your not-so-real mom, that time." I looked at him and I saw his eyes were glowing from hapiness, he was smiling genuinely too.

"But your lola hit me. There were blood and it was so painful. I had a miscarriage but I never hated your lola. Sabi ko nga, dapat lang 'to sa'kin sa pagsira ko ng buhay ng kapatid ko. Did you know that she was really in love with her bestfriend and she was just testing Ronan if he really loves me? Nalaman ko 'yun sa lola mo. But her bestfriend was a playboy and he raped her. God, I'm so sorry." mom cried on dad's shoulder and dad was teary eyed too.

I don't know what to say, I was speechless. All this backstory was just cracking my head.

"Your lola lost her mind so there was no one to take care of you but us. We were too attached to you that when the time came that your lola was finally healed, we couldn't give you back. Then at your 16th birthday. It was magical seeing you like a grown up lady. But your lola came. She said she was just visiting and wouldn't cause any harm, but she did. She put something on our drinks that caused us to come to the stage, drunk and out of our minds. Then we announced you're adopted. We don't know what were doing. It was all a blur when morning came. But your lola said what we did and before we knew it, she took you back. And that's why we're here." To take me back...

I covered my face with both my hands then cried. I cried all my heart out. Then dad hugged us both. How can I do this to them, to the people who did nothing but love me? I was so selfish.

"I'm so sorry, Eve. We're so sorry." mom said. But all I did was cry from the pain.

I forgive you...

I looked at them both then grabbed something from my pocket.

"Pills..." mom uttered. My eyes were starting to close. I was about lay back when dad put my head on his shoulder and mom held my hand. "They're just sleeping pills, right?" her voice was full of hope but she was tensed.

"I'm sorry..." my voice was weak and fragile. Then suddenly, their voices became unclear, it was muffled but I felt dad carried me hurriedly. I tried to open my eyes one last time to see them both. I didn't hate them to death after all...