i. chapter one

i. chapter one

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

SAFFRON COULDN'T BREATHE. Throat constricting, bones ripping and twisting in unimaginable ways - her feet struggled to keep up as she ran and ran. For the first time in years, shifting became agony, but thanks to their pack's lineage, they were able to do it at will rather than be restricted to full moons.

Well, 'pack' - not anymore. After their father died, everything went to shit.

Saffron's heart hammered in her chest as her wolf finally took form, body sprinting and paws aching already from the intensity. She wouldn't dare look behind her, to catch sight of that man. That traitor. Their uncle, Amos, - their father's brother -  who took over the pack the very exact minute he died.

Their father was always so generous, so kind, and virtuous - constantly seeing the good in people, whether it was really there or not. Amos never fooled Saffron's brother, however. Elias constantly raved on about the man, claiming he gave him funny looks and malevolent energy. Turns out he was always right, though Saffron had always been wary of her brother's suspicions of their uncle.

She'd been running for so long now, there was no doubt that Amos had lost her scent by now and that she was miles and miles away by now, but something within her drove her to keep going.

Saffron held back her whimpers of pain as she sprinted, the wind and trees slashing against her wound - caused by their uncle's new right-hand man, a fellow traitor, of course. Elias was the true heir, he was the one meant to become the alpha of the pack, but he couldn't bear it if his sister were injured any further. So, while he tried his best efforts to escape their attacks, he demanded that Saffron left now. Eyes meeting the moon, she begged and begged it that Elias would be okay. She'd gone too far now to go back, and he wanted her to escape as soon as possible.

She'd never heard her own heartbeat so loudly, praying with all her might that Elias would at least be okay. Wherever she was, she had no idea - it felt like they'd been fleeing for a century, but they were reaching a road. A road which had a car. Sign of civilisation. She heard voices, a man and a woman. Saffron didn't know whether to be thankful or full of dread as she clambered towards it, paws heavy and exhausted.

Feeling herself begin to shift back, she dared not slow down as the adrenaline pulsed through her. Her human body returning, Saffron stumbled and limped as fast as she could toward two figures standing in front of the car. 

"Help! Please!" She cried, unable to form a true sentence in her anguished and traumatised state. Hands pressed against her wound, blood seeping through her torn shirt, Saffron took more agonising steps before she recognised the figures before her. Vampires.