Behind The Lies

The sun baked down on the town of Rita Island, located to the west of the tip of Texas. Humidity was horrendous, especially with this summer boiling down the sun with all the Gamma Rays it has left. Even the Gulf Of Mexico probably produced steam as surfers coasted down to the waves. People hardly left their homes in the summers. Especially in Rita Island, where there were a lot of old folk in the self proclaimed traveling island.

 There was one girl who longboarded along the streets of hotels with fancy lights and blinking open signs. Her ponytail whipped along with her, as she bended her knees to get ready to flipkick and show off to the world how good she was at this.

"Get out of the way!" A carn horn honked and she freaked out, skidding to a stop and almost tripping on her own board. Cursing under her breath, she looked toward the old man at the wheel and gave the finger, then turned around to pick up the longboard. Wipping sweat off from her forehead, the teenage girl walked down the street, not caring if cars would even run her over, only caring that she get to her house pretty fast before the car came back with some police man or something like that.

The neighborhood was nice enough, since the area she lived in was right by the beach. Cool wind started to pick up from the east and the girl breathed deeply and continued to walk straight, passing by a mailbox that had two handprints on it, a baby girl's, and a big, manly handprint. Her neighboor, Mr. West was in the yard with his young daughter, Erika, playing tag. The teenage girl waved at both of them, and Erika giggled as she tagged her father it, happy that he was distracted, glee washed on her face. The little girl's blonde hair in curly ringlets looked a bit mangled, only a single father could do so much in little time. But she looked happy, nonetheless, and who would take a young child's happiness away from her?

"Well I see that you've had some trouble with Gerald." Mr. West picked up the little four year old, and gingerly walked up to the girl, smiling a bit around the edges of his mouth. A smirk, as if he remembered his young days, bright and dashing.

The old man Gerald loved to get his way. He would do anything to get mayor status, for the first thing he would do is get every teenager off the street and in the house studying. 'Curfew' he calls it, would be enforced directly, and that was when the other canidate got more votes from the young audience. The police have to put up with his constant complaints about kids standing on his sidewalk, even though its a public place technically. Kids at the school would annoy the heck out of him, since they werent disturbing him, they were just standing there. And that annoyed the heck out of him.

The teenager reluctantly nodded. She chidded herself that maybe he didnt see anything, just heard the old man and the honking. Hopping that no one else saw that incident, she looked around and found that mostly everyone was either gone for vacation, or locked inside their air conditioned houses.

Mr. West saw the look of embarrassment in her eyes, quick, but still there, altogther, and he patted her shoulder, reminding her that it was okay to be caught sometimes. "Don't worry Jess, I'm pretty sure no one saw a thing." He winked and smiled, a true, all teeth showing, smile. Then, Ericka started to fuss a bit, annoyed by the humidity, and he waved quickly goodbye, walking back into his cool home.

Jessica walked across the lawn to her simple home. Her mother wasn't home yet, and her father probably was still in the basement, sleeping his life away slowly. She hoped her little sister and slightly younger brother was still playing his video games, secluded from the world, and from her life especially. She disliked their intuitive ability to always be nosy about everything.

Opening the door quietly, she took a quick look at the cleaness of the living room. The couch was an old couch, but the most comfortable couch she could sleep on when it comes to people spending the night here. It was a faded green, with white little dots, or flowers, she couldnt tell, and had little pillows saying "Welcome" or "God Bless This Home". The TV was off, surprisingly, and the coffee table was scrubbed clean to the point where she worried if her mother bought a new one. Everything looked normal, which was unnatural. She shrugged and stepped inside, closing the door and locking it shut.

Putting her longboard behind the door, where all the keys and coats where, she sighed yet again, feeling the air conditioner blowing through the blessed vents that kept the house cool. Jess walked to the kitchen, and opened the fridge, wondering if her mother went grocery shopping, because she was god-forsaken hungry.

Finding materials to make a sandwhich, she closed the fridge door, and jumped at the sight of her little brother, Tony. He looked at her curiously, as if she were a puzzle to be solved, but yet he couldnt solve her quite yet.

"Mom is going to be home late again." He said, not looking away from Jess, but pointing to the exact spot where the cordless phone was, as if it where the answer to everything around here. He opened his mouth as if it say something else, but he closed it again and turned around, walking back to whatever he was doing. "Also, I dont know where you went, but be glad dad doesnt have a life outside of his basement." She could feel the smirk on his face as he ruefully walked back to his room, all the while Jess was staring beady eyes behind his head.

Slapping the sandwhich together, she muttered, "He can get away with murder if he could." Rolling her eyes, she took a bite of the heavenly sandwhich and moaned out of the goodness of food. She only took one bite, when her sister appeared out of no where. Jess got scared once again and exclaimed, "How did you get here?!?"

Rachel beamed and said matter-o-factly, "I am wearing socks!" She pointed to the socks that could have easily hidden sound in a wooden floor and then changed the subject. "Where were you?" She looked a bit sad, as if everyone always leaved her. Jessica couldnt blame her. As of now, her life sucked just as much as Rachel's did.

"I went to the library," Jessica explained, taking a sip of water, then continuing, "Mrs. Fritz wanted for me to stop by to help organize some books." She smiled and bended down to Rachel's level. "Im sorry I didnt stay today." Jess pinched her little cheeks softly. "I promise we will do something tomorrow." Patting her head, she got up and Rachel nodded, a litle doubtful, but at least she had a reason why her sister was gone. Rachel left without a sound, and Jessica sighed, relieved.

Lie. Liar. What a liar to have to lie to her own sister. Innocence is not your friend.

Jessica rubbed her temples, her thoughts giving her a minor headache. Too tired to even finish, she threw away the remainder of the half sandwhich, and headed to her room.

Liar.

You lie about everything.

Jessica shook her head, knowing nothing was going to help her perssistant mind, her thoughts racing like horses.

This will not end well.

Running to her room now, she wished she was asleep as she fumbled for the door to open.

You coward. Hiding behind your lies.

Tears were running down her cheeks as she shut the door, locking it tight, and throwing herself on the bed, furious that she was crying.

You are a beautiful mess. Waiting to be put back together with lies. 

Jessica prayed for sleep, hoping that this would all just end. She hugged her knees, and trembled, not being able to breathe, hyperventalating.

Pathetic liar.

Sleep was so near, as she closed her eyes and the last thought she heard made her cry during her sleep.

He is worth the lies.