A little backstory

It has been twenty minutes since you left the apartment block. You are aboard the government Airbus A330. You are sitting opposite to Justin. He hasn't stopped looking at you since the plane took off. You are worried that he is thinking about you.

"Justin, have I got something on my face?" You ask so you can discreetly get to the bottom of why he can't take his eyes off you. You get the feeling that something is different about his look.

"I was just wondering why you chose to join the specialist branch," he responds. You know how he got the information. You start to think about the events that have led up to you joining the specialist branch. It's something you don't really talk about.

"I choose to because I wanted to," You respond vaguely. Hopefully, he doesn't probe because you don't like the circumstances. You decide to explain anyway.

Flashback:

It has been a year since you graduated from the police academy. You are finally part of the royal Canadian mounted police. You are doing some boring paperwork. You are soon interrupted.

"Millie you're heading to Nunavut," Your boss remarks.

"Why Captain?" You normally don't question your assignments but there is something odd about this one. You hope you won't need to go to your home town. Your Boss passes you a piece of paper containing your check-in information.

"Because the locals asked for you," That can only mean one thing. Your dad needs help. Three hours later you have boarded the plane with some forensic scientists. They are very chatty and it is bothering you.

"They are bothering you aren't they?" Your partner who is sitting next to you remarks. You sigh because you don't want to annoy them.

"Tom you but there is nothing I can do until we land and reach the crime scene," You respond. Another hour the plane has landed. Your team is greeted by your dad. You would give him a hug but your hands are full.

"Hello Mill," Your dad greets you.

"Dad these people are Tom, James, Vincent and Jessica," you introduce him to the team. You hope it's nothing. Thirty minutes later the team has gotten to work. You can see why your dad called your boss. There is not much left of the body. Jessica and Vincent are arguing.

"What's going on?" Tom asks. You can tell they are arguing over the gender of the victim so you decide to let Tom deal with it. You approach your dad.

"Dad when was the find reported?" You get down to business. You hope you can work out what's going on for your dad.

"The body was found six hours ago and I connected the RCMP an hour later," Your dad gives you the timeline. You start to wonder about why he asked for you but you decide to ignore it.

"Millie, can you help us here?" Tom asks. The forensics team is still arguing. You move towards the body.

"How are you guys still arguing?" You are a little confused because they are your best. Jessica giggles.

"Normally we are easily able to tell the gender of the victim but we can't seem to agree," Vincent fills you in. You bend down to have a closer look. You can tell why they are confused.

"We need a second opinion but I reckon our vic was a female," You come to the conclusion but you get the feeling you might be wrong. At least you have settled the argument for now. You start to think of a disappearance that your dad worked on a while ago.

"Hey, dad do you remember the disappearance of Jaylyn Mackenzie?" You decide to ask him because she was never found.

"Yes, do you think it is connected?" You dad asks. He is surprised. You nod. You start looking for evidence that proves your theory. After two minutes of careful looking, you have found some stuff that could belong to the victim. You carefully bag it. You are joined by your dad. He has found some other stuff as well. It is the day after you arrived in Nunavut. You are talking to the ME and he is just as stumped as the others.

"I can tell you the likely cause of death and the name of the victim but that's it," he confirms. You start pacing around.

"Well, who is our victim?" You ask. You hope in a way that it's Jaylyn Mackenzie.

"She is Jaylyn Mackenzie," He reads your mind. Another three days of investigating leads you to the killer. You have him backed into a corner. He is desperately trying to escape. You can't do anything because he is holding a gun at you.

"I'll shoot if you move closer," he remarks. You know he is out of bullets so you move closer. He shoots but it clicks instead of firing. You tackle him to the ground. You get the handcuffs on him. It has been a week since you arrested the killer and you need a break from crime-solving.

"Millie, can I talk to you in my office?" Your boss requests. You are wondering if it has to do with your unit change request. A minute later you have joined him.

"I have approved your transfer and you are to start tomorrow,"