5

During the third night at the hotel Donghyuck's insomnia came back to bite him in the ass

During the third night at the hotel Donghyuck's insomnia came back to bite him in the ass. The day before had been hectic. He woke up late again, while Renjun was at practice. While going to the ground floor of the hotel for breakfast he realized he had locked himself out of the room by forgetting his keycard. Renjun and Jungwoo would be gone for another two hours, he was only wearing slides, a shirt and some sweatpants and it was -5,2°C outside. The seemingly short walk towards the ice rink to get Renjun's keycard suddenly seemed a whole lot longer.

The only time he'd caught a glimpse of Mark and Jeno after the ice hockey match was that night at the hotel's restaurant when all of them were having dinner.

After about an hour of mindless staring at the empty ceiling of the hotel room Donghyuck got out of bed, got dressed and grabbed his skates. He did wonder if the Canadian male was going to be there, if maybe Donghyuck would be able to teach him an easy move again while they joked around together. He wouldn't like to admit, but he definitely was disappointed when he himself had to unlock the doors towards the rink and turn the lights on. Everything felt a whole lot more serious now he was on his own. The silence that hung thick in the atmosphere of the small club clogged his throat, made it harder to breathe.

Yet Donghyuck could find the strength in himself to put on his skates and step onto the cold surface. The first four steps always were a bit wonky, but it wouldn't take him long to fall back into his old habits, his niche. Every single time Donghyuck dared to skate again he was reminded on how much he belonged there exactly, this was his calling. It was like long before the Big Bang even happened the gods above had already decided that in the year 2000 Lee Donghyuck was going to be born, and he was going to be a figure skater, no matter what. A soft, shakey sigh left his lips after he made his first round and he let himself come to a halt against the fence where he had placed his bag, and most importantly his phone with his speaker. He quickly connected his phone to the Bluetooth device and scrolled trough his music app before he finally found what he was looking for. Donghyuck; 2019, December 5. The date made him swallow the nothingness in his throat before he pressed play and finding Neverland started to echo trough the rink. The music bounced of the walls which gave the whole atmosphere an even sadder tint, reminding Donghyuck that he truly was all alone here. When the music finally ebbed into charms Donghyuck's body was taken over by an invisible force, moving to the music that was engraved in the clefts of his brain.

The sound of the violin that was playing wrapped around his limbs in a warm embrace, leading him trough the entire choreography. The harp in the background made the feeling of utter despair arise in his stomach. Whenever he danced to this particular song he felt like a fairy, who was looking for a long lost lover, and after years of being on his quest he realized his significant other had moved on, never loved him back the way he loved him and he was left all alone, in the darkness, rotting away because the feeling of emptiness in his heart had broken his soul. The pure, boiling anger and also the satin like love in the song were something that managed to let Donghyuck's skin break out in goosebumps every time he heard it. He would never get tired of this feeling.