f i v e

Henry gives three sharp knocks on the door before waiting and then giving two more. Joel stands with Sam and Ellie behind him, eager to get in a safe space.

The door swings open and he turns, his eyes widening.

"It can't be..." he breathes.

Naomi stood in the doorway. The brunette of her hair had gotten shorter, greying in streaks. The hazel eyes was filled with harsh memories and locked away emotions.

She had a small scar running across her cheek and a red bandana tied in her hair. A long, silver machete hung by her side.

At the sight of Joel, her jaw clenches and Henry gives a confused look between them as he steps in, followed by the two and then a reluctant Joel.

Naomi closes the door, taking her time until it clicks shut and she stands, her hand pressed against it and her back to them.

"Twenty years and you haven't aged a day."

She smiles, tapping her nails on the wood and turning to face him. "Shame I can't say the same about you."

"Wait you two know each other?" Henry questions.

"Your saviour happens to be my wi -"

"Henry. Sam. Can you give us a moment?" Naomi cuts Joel off and Henry goes to protest, but she shoots him a glare. "Now."

She waits until the door closes to the next room, her eye's never leaving Joel's.

Once it shuts, they both explode into a frenzy of questions, each trying to overpower the other as they mock each other.

Ellie stands with her hands behind her back, rocking slightly on her heels. "Man, this is awkward."

Naomi abruptly stops, twisting to face the girl and her stance falters for a slight second.

Her daughter's face flickers into her mind and she holds up her machete. "Who the fuck is this, Joel?"

Joel realises what she's thinking and he sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I'm Ellie." The teenager holds her hand out but the woman raises an eyebrow. "I didn't ask you."

"No, but I'm who you're talking about so -"

"Ellie, stop." Joel orders and she does as he says, rolling her eyes slightly as Naomi looks back at him.

"She's not replacing her. She's just cargo, Ni- not my dau-" Joel stops as the door to the other room opens and Henry pokes his head out.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we're hungry and I can't help but notice the food is in your room." He points to the stack of cans in the corner.

Naomi shrugs. "Help yourself. I'm going to make sure you haven't attracted any attention to us."

"We were careful." Joel promises and she purses her lips, walking to the front door.

"I don't trust you."

He watches her go, those words piercing him life a knife and the door slams shut, making him wince slightly.

Flashback

The second day after loosing Sarah, Naomi and Joel sit at the table on opposing ends. Tommy had excused himself to go for a walk.

"Where did you go last night?" She breaks their silence.

"Nowhere."

She nods, tapping her nails against the table and then suddenly stopping. "Then why was there fresh blood on your shirt."