03

Harry had always wanted to compete in the Olympics. It was his dream, and for him it wasn't far-fetched. From the time he was ten he'd known that skating was the right thing for him. People say that to become a professional at something you have to put in ten-thousand hours of that work. Harry put in 61,362 hours in over the course of ten years. Undoubtedly, he was an expert.

In the first few months of their friendship, Marlee and Harry choreographed countless ice dance routines together. It became their thing. They performed them together at the local rink and sometimes Harry's training center--the Hillcrest Ice Rink--would pay them to perform for a crowd. It became a rhythm, really. They'd get together and map out a full routine in a week, and they'd proudly show whoever wanted to see on Friday evenings.

Once, Harry's mother had suggested that he show Matthew--Harry's coach--one of their one-person routines during a practice session. Harry had invited Matthew to see them before, but Matthew had always told him he'd love to see it, but was busy, and he was sorry that he couldn't make it. Harry believed it; it was a good excuse, but after he'd shown Matthew their best routine, he knew he'd lied. He might've been busy, but he really didn't want to see it. Matthew didn't like the fact that Marlee was taking up all of Harry's time, and he didn't like that Harry would sometimes cancel his lessons to be with her.

He'd never admit it, but it made Matthew angry. Harry was his ticket to fame and fortune! If Marlee screwed it up for him, he'd probably never get a chance like that again. If she was out of the picture, it would be so simple for Harry to win gold at the Olympics, make tons of money for Matt, and make him a famous, too.

For a long time, Marlee would come to Harry's practices to watch what he was doing and maybe make up a new routine. When she didn't come one day, Matthew seemed overly happy and Harry decided maybe it was a bad idea for her to be there so often. Matt was still excited that she wouldn't be there as much, even if he did still have to see her more than he'd prefer.

-

The time had come for Harry to head off to the Olympics. They had two different routines lined up--one for the short program and one for the free skate--and Harry was finally living his dream. It had taken a long time, but by the end of his senior year, he was going to be an Olympic Athlete.

Matthew had him fully prepared, and it was obvious that he couldn't have been happier. Until he learned that Marlee was coming on the trip.

"She'll distract you," he told Harry after practice. "She's no good for your performance, Harry."

Harry shook his head. "She couldn't very well stay home."

Matt paused, trying to find a good excuse for her not to come along. "What if she's bad luck? She only brings trouble with her."

Harry laughed aloud when he heard that. "Marlee brings trouble? Ha! She's the best student I know, I'm pretty sure she physically cannot get in trouble--" he headed towards the exit of the rink "--And, you know, Matt? It's not really your choice if she comes or not. It's mine, and I want her to be there."