Chapter Seven: To Infinity and Beyond

Liz's PoV

       It was difficult to pin point exactly which point in my body hurt the most. My back screamed with  the slightest of movements with each muscle tensing and relaxing with the subtle rock of the cart. It was a tough comparison to the constant drill of a migraine hammering in my skull. The only thing worse then a headache was a migraine.

Even the evening sun of Aravala-7 had me quickly closing my eyes once more from the pulse behind my eyeballs. I knew I had to get up, focus on something other than the pain but laying on the durasteel cart till the end of time seemed much more appealing.

        Compromising was hauling myself up to my elbows which sent a ripple of pain up from the small of my back to my shoulder blades, a manageable soreness. It seems I wasn't the only one down for the count, the child slept soundlessly in a swaddle of blankets.

The Mandalorian however was not down for the count, the opposite in fact. His shoulder blades pinched together almost painfully under his beskar, propped up on a small crate at the front of the cart, cleaning his rifle. He had been for a while, the thing looked spotless almost looking like it had ever seen a speck of mud in its life.

         "How long was I out?" The words came out as more of a grumble than I had originally intended it, "What?"

A light bulb go off in his head as he whipped around to face me. I pulled myself up with a hiss leaning my back against a smooth piece of metal, "Looks like the mission was a success."

            His gaze clearly lacked the amusement I was hoping for. If looks could kill, I'm pretty sure this death would have been swifter than the one beast could have dealt. His gaze fell then rose up my mud crusted robes which had my stomach churning a little bit at the sight. I probably looked grosser than I felt meanwhile his armor was almost clear of mud.

"What in the absolute hell were you thinking?" 

         His voice was a near growl with his hand tightening around the butt end of the rifle.  I wasn't expecting balloons and a party but certainly not anger either, " I-"

"I told you to stay with the kid. I asked one thing of you. You're a bounty, so is he. One with a large payout. Then you went and almost got yourself crushed from it if it wasn't for the child you would be dead, do you realize how dangerous that was?" Heat rushed to my cheeks at his tone, his posture, looking down at me like I was some sort of child

       "Yes, Mando. I do realize how dangerous it was and that was a risk I was willing to take. May I remind you that it was your ass that I took the fall for!" I thrusted my finger towards his chest which only infuriated him more to the point where his slammed the end of his rifle down onto the cart.