twelve.

Chapter 12:Trust

The sound of the Mustang's blaring engine approaches the quiet house echoing off the tall forest that surround them. Inside the kids fidget peering through the broken window with Tali above them. Although the imminent danger of the monsters finally far away from the house, it seemed there was another lurking about. Max anxiously fiddled her fingers as Steve walked out of the house having stated he would 'handle it', but Tali recalling the way gym class had panned out remains unsure if he really could. Billy's muscled form staggers out of the car with an obnoxiously lit cigarette in between his lips.

"Am I dreaming, or is that you, Harrington?"

"Yeah, it's me, don't cream your pants,"

The rest of their conversation was carried off in the wind, Tali and the kids unable to catch any of their words. The older girl could feel the hair on her arms stand as the cool breeze drifts from the broken window her nerves still high. From the looks of it, the conversation seemed fine and she thought maybe Steve could handle it till Billy glances in their direction. The kids all quickly duck under the couch and Tali moves off to the side.

"Oh shit, did he see us?" Dustin asks.

Tali peers from the peephole of the door as the new guy pushes Steve to the ground and kicks him in the stomach. She mutters curses as the kids gather behind her, scrambling her brain for an excuse, a plan, anything.

Overly confident Billy throws open and closes the front door like he owns the place, a permanent scowl etched on his face. "Well, well, well, Tali Henderson knew there was something wrong when you ditched our date," he saunters bringing with him the smell of the tobacco.

"Yeah, my terrible habit of making bad decisions," she attempts to reply calmly considering that maybe her wit can save them from this situation but the mullet-wearing teen's eyes drift behind her.

"Lucas Sinclair, what a surprise," he takes a step forward same angry look in his eyes and she reaches out to push him back

"Hey, relax," but her voice wasn't made to be threatening so it does little to stop him as he continues to walk toward his sister.

"I thought I told you to stay away from him, Max,"

"Billy go away," Max mutters.

"You disobeyed me, and you know what happens when you disobey me..." Tali curls her hands into fists an uneasy feeling settling in her stomach at his words and presence, he loomed and surround them like the monster's had not too long ago. "I break things," he finishes his sentence launching himself toward Lucas pulling him across the room by the front of his shirt.

Tali leaps toward them as Billy presses the younger boy up onto the wall continuing to threaten him. The rest of the kids shouting out at them. She tries grabbing onto his arm to pull him off Lucas, but it does little to the stronger boy's brute force. "Since Maxine won't listen to me, maybe you will. You stay away from her, stay away from her! You hear me?"

Lucas struggles against his grip, "I said let me go," with one strong kick Billy loses his grip on the boy and he staggers back. Tali doesn't know if to grab the rusty pipe lying around nearby or to call the police or if either of those things can even help better the situation, they were in.

"You are so dead, Sinclair! You're dead," Billy groans.

The pipe was the answer, Tali concluded, but before she can rush off to find it Steve comes in through the door and uses all his momentum to push Billy from behind, "No, you are," he says before punching him in the face. The older girl takes the opportunity to wrap an arm around Lucas who remained stunned in the corner pulling him toward the rest of the kids.