Chapter Twenty-Four

Lilu's POV

In the afternoon, the shadows of Cosmo's apartment, lurks a reaper playing with his cards. Luxury drapes across his body in the form of heavy jewellery and designer clothing. If I could, I'd crown him the Sin of Pride, considering his lack of care for morality. Kyler, the brother of Davian, reeks of death and sin since he accepts bribes to take souls of the departed to the afterlife of their choice. The ace of spades falls to the floor he whips out his gun. Kyler's silver eyes are sharp stakes, piercing us in silent contemplation.

Temptations to shoot me lays bright in his eyes, but there is a tinge of disappointment. He expected someone else. My guess is his former roommate and my dear son, Cosmo. The two quarrelled. Flames ate away at their friendship, dissolving the bridge to ashes. What burned the bridge remains a mystery. A mystery bad enough to tempt Kyler to pierce a bullet through his heart.

He points the gun between my eyes. I remain unshaken by his promise of violence. He flounces the gun, impressed by my composure. San raises his palms and steps towards him.

"Peace, brother. We only ask for your assistance."

"With what?" Kyler's voice is stained with a repugnance.

"Were you expecting Cosmo?" I cut in.

"Yes, actually."

"For what reason do you loathe my son?" I question, only for disgust to flitter across his face as though he has a whole list. "Cosmo is crazy about you. Do you really want to blow off someone so passionate?"

"Yes. Now state your business."

"Please do us the pleasure of guiding us to Purgatory," I ask, overcoming the temptation to punch his throat.

We desire his assistance to guide us through Purgatory so I may seek my children lost in limbo. The easiest way to break into Purgatory, I decided, is to have a reaper guide us. Davian would stand out like a poppy in a green field. Hell searches for him, while Kyler walks freely amongst the realms.

Purgatory is the realm of tricksters. Demons of all kinds work there to test souls to the extreme, to bend them, to mould them, and leave victims a solemn husk of the person they once were. The realm is barren of hope, an empire of suffering souls. Fears from one's core torment its victims. This is to make a soul strong enough to receive redemption for all their past sins.

"What do I get out of it?"

"My humblest acknowledgements on a job well done," I answer, placing a hand over my fragile heart.

"I want four-thousand dollars and a guarantee your son will leave me alone."

"I will have a word with him," I agree, as much as it pains me to do so.

The boy seems extends a hand and I shake it, seizing the opportunity to pick up his fallen card. I arch my brow when I reveal the ace of spades. Are the gods are showing me the future? Practitioners of cardiology believe the card symbolises death and ill-fate. Death itself is also symbolic for transformation, like a worm evolving into a moth. It reminds me of the demi-god of prophecy, Zagreus, reading through his tarot deck to divine the future.

Kyler finally snatches the cards and folds his arms.

"Cosmo is not the boy you think he is."

"Spare me your attempt to brainwash me against my son. How are we going to Purgatory?"

"You need to temporarily die to visit of Purgatory," Kyler tells me, "I will rip your soul from your body then put it back as soon as we are done. Do I have your consent?"