five.

LOST SOULS!
CHAPTER FIVE.
purity.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE AIR BETWEEN THE MARTIN SIBLINGS WOULD BE DESCRIBED AS NOTHING BUT AWKWARD AS LYDIA DROVE AROUND BEACON HILLS, HER BROTHER SHIFTING IN HIS SEAT UP FRONT. It didn't help either that the radio wasn't working . . . leaving the two in the utmost painful silence they had ever been in together. Seriously, it was far more worse than when neither of the pair would fess up who broke their mother's favourite- and very expensive- vase when they were kids.

Thankfully- or unfortunately for the male in the car- that silence was soon to be broken with the humming of Lydia Martin's starting words. "So . . . are you actually going to tell me why you haven't came in the past few days and why mum has been freaking out, or are we just going to keep pretending that I'm stupid and don't notice?"

"I seriously hope you're considering the second option."

The female Martin was quick to cut any comedy her brother was trying to make out of this conversation, as she closed her emerald eyes shortly with a tone as sharp as a knife. "Adrian, I have been worried about you, mum and even myself for days now so don't even try to joke about this!"

The boy's gaze went soft at the teenage girl's words, quickly stirring his head in her direction with a parting frown. "What happened?" There was a hint of hurt/guilt trialing in his voice, his mind shaming him. Was he not there when he sister needed help?

Lydia released a deep, tired exhale as her fingertips patted against the steering wheel. She pursed her pink, glossed-over lips. "N-Nothing. Nothing happened." The strawberry blonde repeated her earlier actions, the car slowing down slightly. Thankfully, the road was pretty empty. "Please . . . just tell me what's going on for once."

Adrian took in her deepened green eyes and immediately knew his gut would kill him if he dared to chance a lie. Plus, this was Lydia Martin; the girl was basically a professionally trained sniffer dog when it came to these things. There was nothing he could do . . . other than tell the truth.

"You know . . . some things aren't always what they appear to be." Adrian began with a hoarse voice that surprised even himself as he felt his mouth go instantly dry the minute he spoke. "You know, sometimes you spend most of your life believing in one thing when in reality you were only being fed lies."

Lydia's brows knitted together as she looked fixedly towards him, her mouth hung open slightly as she did the slow blinks. ". . . I'm not following here."

The opposite redhead cursed under his breath, knowing that his mind only had so much lame interpretations to break the news in a much lighter load to give; and he was running out quick. "What I'm trying to say is that sometimes, we believe things which aren't true. And it is only when we grow older that we learn maybe we should've believed something different from the start- like we should've known something from the start."