Chapter 4

"I feel like you don't even sleep here."

I jumped back as I entered my apartment. I forgot about her. I sighed and put my hand on my chest.

"I've been going out a lot, I had a bad breakup," I explained as I walked inside. I set my bag down and laid on the couch back first.

"Do you want to wish that you guys go back together?" my fairy godmother asked me.

She's cute for asking.

"No," I laughed. Although, I do wish I ran into the guy from the bar again. "I thought I couldn't wish for love?"

"Well, he already loves you right?"

"I'm not too sure about that."

There was a slight pause.

"Well, out with them, you don't have forever you know?"

"I don't?"

"No, you can't hold on to me indefinitely. If you don't make a wish by next week, pouf, I'm gone."

I sat up and looked off into the distance. I guess now is the time to wish for free money. After talking to the girls at brunch, we vetoed the lottery, we didn't want to deal with the bullshit of the taxes and blah blah blah. We just wanted free money and for Amber no more student loans. Mark's parents paid off Lindsey's when they got married, but Amber and I were still chipping away at ours.

"Okay, well, I think I'm ready to make a wish," I said facing her.

"Okay, let's do this," she started doing jumping jacks. "Warming up!"

"Right...but wait, what did you mean by fine print?"

She stops and sighs. I can see her patience getting thin. "Okay, so let's say you wished for a sandwich, okay like ... the best sandwich in the world. It wouldn't happen right away but, in a week or so you will have the best sandwich in the world but ... you might be allergic to the bread, or you'll bump into your ex, or someone else will miss out on that sandwich and that could cause a ripple effect of its own. Make sense?"

"No, but I get what you're trying to say... I think."

"Alright then!" she said warming up again. "Let's have it!"

Just then there was a knock on the door.

"Come on!" she said throwing her hands in the air.

"Shh!" I said glaring at her. I waved my hand at her like get lost. She took the cue and vanished. I didn't want to have to explain my sudden roommate situation to anyone.

I opened up my apartment door and there was Kevin.

I sighed. I have to tell Gavin to add this asshole to the "don't let upstairs" list.

"My key, please," I said extending my hand.

"Can I please come in?" Kevin pleaded, handing me my extra key.

"Is the earth flat?"

"Please, Jen, baby-"

"Don't baby her!"

I looked passed him and there was my neighbor from before. I smiled at her.

"I got you sis!" she said before opening her door, flipping Kevin off and entering her apartment.

"Please," he said, his eyes pleading.

I would continue to stand my ground but I don't want my neighbors to eavesdrop on my conversation. So, I moved to the right and let him in.