Chapter 1

Today the storms were calm, the captain wasn't. 

"What the actual flying fuck did you do!" 

Honestly, I didn't know. Four weeks ago we had managed to capture a general of the Ilanan army, an awesome feat.  Three days ago I allowed her to escape, and I'm not even sure it was an accident. It's very possible she snuck past me, it's also possible I let her trick me and let her leave. Either way, I really messed up. 

I had trouble focusing as his spit sprayed across my face, I tried to nod along. He paused for a stretch, and I realized he probably asked me a question. 

"I'm uh I'm very sorry, I won't do it again?"  I was pretty sure that was not an appropriate answer to whatever he asked. 

"Alright, go clean something or whatever," He mumbled.

It's not my job to clean anything, not anymore anyway but Captain Vern didn't care. He had a big crew to watch out for, and I wasn't a vital part of it. I'm cool with that if I was vital I wouldn't be able to mess up, messing up is 20% of my daily routine. 

Heading to my room a girl matched my pace, I recognized her but didn't remember her name.

"Hey what did the captain want to talk to you about?" I stopped and turned towards her. She was pretty nice hair, it was red, well maintained. 

"How'd you know the captain wanted to talk to me?"

"You um- came out of his quarters so I just assumed,"

"Oh yeah makes sense, he just wanted to yell at me. Nothing important," I started walking again. 

She started walking too. "Yeah, but what'd he want to yell at you about?" 

"I made a mistake and um maybe accidentally possibly let the general escape,"

"oh- that's that's really not good, I don't think anyone else's knows,"

"Ah, well maybe keep it secret,"