3~ Last Chance

"Miss. Monroe, are you ready?"

Jennifer nods her head from where she was standing in the back of the room. She gives Roy and Johnny a smile and walks up to the podium.

"Council, fellow citizens. I'm here today to support the paramedic program here in Los Angeles County. The paramedics, like the two in the back, are saving lives everyday. This past Saturday I spent the day with the paramedics, John Gage and Roy DeSoto, at Station 51. Our day started with a run to a disturbance that had two guys bitten by a dog. The dog barely broke the skin on both men but they still had to be cared for .

"We then get a run to an unknown injury. When we got to the scene, there was a woman lying on the ground. Turns out that she was bit by a rattlesnake. Gage and DeSoto told me to stay in the squad but I was still able to observe them. They didn't wimp out on their work just because there might have been a rattlesnake around. They worked like it wasn't there but still kept watch of their surroundings. Now if you didn't have the paramedic program in this county, this woman would have probably been dead before she got care.

"Coming back from the hospital, we watch a three vehicle accident happen. I watched as Gage and DeSoto ran from car to car to check on the people. I was them given the job to watch this little girl as they cared for the people. It was different holding a crying child that could have lost her parents because of a drunk driver.

"The biggest run we had was during lunch. We were called to a fire at a wearhouse. We get there and two workers were still inside. Gage and DeSoto run inside to save the men. As they are saving the men, we find out that there are chemicals inside that could go off any minute. You could feel the tension in the air from everyone worrying about the men inside. I've never felt that before and I was just as worried as everyone else. When they come running out of the building, you could hear everyone let out a side of relief. It was a minute later that a chemical exploded in the building. If the rescue squad was never there, who knows if those men would have made it out alive or not. As I watched them work on the two men, I allowed my mind to wonder after what I had just witnessed.

"I had never felt like I did at that run. I've seen the numbers and reports from the runs the paramedics have done but I realized something. These men affect everyone they run into. They have taught their fellow co-workers a lot of basic stuff so that they can help out when needed. The paramedics also save so many people's lives. So many people would be dead if it weren't for them. They don't just treat the injured, they save them from the fires. They risk their lives and do what the other firemen do. They do more work then the other firefighters and they don't deserve to have their jobs taken away from them. They have gone through so much training and work. They deserve more then what you guys are planning to do to them. They do much more work then you guys and even me. My thoughts of them have changed some because of this run. I really think that you guys should ride with these men some time. It'll change your mind about this program and you'll realize how important they are."

Jennifer ends her speech and everyone is silent. Jennifer gathers her papers and walks up the the president. She hands him a paper and says, "This is a copy of the speech I just gave. This is something you can look back at as you make you desicion." She steps back and walks back to the back of the room where John and Roy were standing. They smile and both giver her a hug.

"We'll announce our decission on Wednesday at the last meeting for this," the president says before him and the others leave.

"You did great," John says.

"You really did," Roy agrees.

Jennifer gives them both a releaved smile. "Thanks guys. I'm hoping that this is what we need."

"Well don't worry, we all know that you made a convincing speech," John assures her as the three walk out of the room.

Jen gives John an smile. "Thanks. Will I see you guys Wednesday?"

"No. We have to go to a high school to do a little assembly and we have to be there early," Roy tells her.

"That stinks.I have to give a speech at a high school Wednesday but I can make it after the meeting. At least I hope so. I bet I'll make it."

"Well good luck. Will you tell us the verdict when you find out?" Johnny asks as they walk outside.

She gives both paramedics a smile. "The first moment I have time to."

"Great," Roy responds. "We better get going. We have to get back to saving lives."

"See you later guys."

Jen waves to the men as they walk to their rescue squad which looked funny surrounded by normal cars. Jennifer walks over to her car and gets in. She watches in her rear view mirror as Stations 51's squad drives past her to get back to work.

"I hope I convinced them. I don't want great guys like Roy and Johnny to lose a job like this. And I don't want myself out of work either," Jen says aloud in the empty car. She really wasn't sure if her skills would create a happy ending for all of the people that were counting on her.