Chapter 1

Hey guys! My name is Meera, and I originally wrote this on India Forums as a FanFiction. It is still a work in progress, but henceforth, any updated chapters I write will go on here and IF: indiaforums.com/fanfiction/271. 

(Special thanks to angelfire78 for giving an extra little nudge to publish this on Wattpad!)

P.S. The title of the story is based off of the song by Lata Mangeshkar ji, written by RD Burman for the movie Sunny (1984). If KuKu ever had a theme song other than"Bekhudi", I would want it to be this song :)

_________________________________________________

(After returning from the mandir, the entire Rajvansh family is buzzing with excitement. Abir was to be wed to Mishti, and that was reason enough to celebrate. After a long evening of excited chatter, everyone trickled upstairs to their respective rooms, retiring for the night.)

Kunal threw the doors to his room open, and strode in. "Kuhu! Arey Kuhu, kahan ho tum?"

Kuhu walked out of the bathroom, drying her hair with a towel. "Chilla kyun rahe ho tum?"

Kunal walks over to Kuhu, beaming. He grabs her by the arms in excitement and exclaims,"Dekho! Maine kaha tha na! Mishti aur Abir bhai ki shaadi hokar hi rahega! Kuhu, I'm so excited. Finally bhai ko apna pyaar mil hi gaya!"

He guides her over to the edge of the bed and sits her down. "Kuhu, panditji ne abhi kaha tha ki shaadi ka muharat Feb 15th ka hoga. We don't have a lot of time. Tumhe abhi se planning shuru karna padega. I know it'll be a lot of work, but hum saath milkar kaam karenge. It'll be a ton of fun!"

Kuhu's eyes widened slightly. February 15th. That was the exact date of their final day together.How did Kunal not remember?

"Kunal, Feb 15th to..."

"Haan Kuhu, I know ki bohot jaldi hai, lekin kya karein, hum sab ne itni der kardi un dono ki shaadi karne mein, so we owe it to them," Kunal said with vigor and enthusiasm. He got up from the bed and walked to his laptop. "I'm cancelling all of my meetings for that day. I wouldn't miss the wedding for the world."

Kuhu opened her mouth to complete her sentence, but Kunal was already engrossed in his laptop.She angrily got up from the bed and marched over to the closet. She moved the clothes aside and stared resentfully at the calendar with the 15th circled with a giant red marker. A million thoughts flew through her head. How could Kunal just forget about the most important, pivotal day of their life together? Was he really that apathetic?

"Kunal, tumhe sach mein yaad nahi hai ki Feb 15th par konsa important event hai?"

Kunal looked up from his laptop, bewildered. He wracked his mind, trying to think of something, but he just couldn't.

"Nahin to?Nothing is happening on Feb 15th."

"Are you sure, Kunal? Acche se socho" Kuhu snapped.

"Arey baba, kuch nahin hai Feb 15th par. You must be mistaken." Saying this, Kunal shook his head and chuckled. He closed his laptop and left the room.

Kuhu's face flushed pink with anger as she balled up her fists. She was so done. She was so donebeing the only person that gave a damn about their relationship. She stared at herself in the mirror, eyes pooling with tears of anger and sadness, lips trembling.The dreams she had seen for herself crumbled to ash, and old wounds opened up, leaving her vulnerable, alone, and scared. She was back to square one, where everything, at any given time, was about Mishti. Her relationship problems were because of Kunal's mother wanting revenge on Mishti. Her brother, whom she respected and loved the most, left for London brokenhearted and shattered because of Mishti. Her family, whom she treasured, only found true happiness in Mishti's happiness, not hers. And now, even when she was alone with her soon-to-be-ex-husband, Mishti was the only thing he could talk about.

That night, Kuhu decided. She was done being second best. She was done being the shadow. She was done being at the mercy of everyone else besides herself. She was done pitying herself.