Chapter 3

It was the day of the wedding. The previous night, after everyone had slept off, Kuhu had brought her suitcase out from underneath the sofa and had started quietly packing it.In the morning, she hid it again, so that she wouldn't have to explain it to anyone.To Kuhu's despair, Kunal still did not remember that today was her last day in the Rajvansh family. But she was not in any mind to remind him. After all, if he didn't care about her staying or not staying, then why should she care to tell him?

Kunal was awake early. He went out on a jog to clear his head early in the morning before the wedding in the evening. As he jogged through the cool morning mist in the park, something struck him. February 15th. It was an oddly familiar date, but not because of the wedding. What that was, he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Kunal's mind wandered away from the topic and he began thinking about the past week's events. The mehendi. The haldi. The grandeur. The festivities. It brought him back to his own wedding with Kuhu. A bashful smile spread across his face as he thought of Kuhu. Kuhu. His lovely, drop-dead gorgeous, sweet wife. Whenever she walked past him, he could smell flowers and springtime, with just a hint of cinnamon. Whenever she talked to him, his eyes would lock with hers and he would get lost. Whenever she laughed, he would smile listening to the musical tinkling in her laughter.

His smile, however, quickly soured as he thought about the past week. She had not been herself at all. She would barely talk to him, avoid him at all cost, wouldn't make eye contact with him, and dismiss him every time he approached her. Come to think of it, Kunal couldn't even remember if she laughed, let alone smiled even once in the past week. What could be the problem? What had happened to her?

He stopped to drink water. As he splashed his face with water, it hit him. His mind flashed back to the calendar in the closet. February 15th. That's why that date was so familiar. It was her last day as his wife. A wave of panic hit him. He had completely forgotten. How could he have been this careless? Is that why she had been so irritable the whole week?

Kunal sat down, unable to process what he had just remembered. Today was her last day as his wife. Her last day in his house. Her last day in his life.

Kunal sprinted home, but to his despair, Kuhu had already left for the wedding venue to set up. He showered and got dressed, and was ready to leave for the venue, but Mami ji stopped him and asked him to help with the gift bags, as they had not been fully packed. Unable to refuse, he was stuck at home, while each precious minute of the day drifted by. Would he be able to reach Kuhu in time? And if so, what would he say to her? What would he ask her to do?