Chapter 12

The next morning, when Kuhu came down for breakfast, she was greeted with a surprise. The entire Rajvansh family had gathered in the living room, and were chattering away with her family. Kunal was there too, discussing something intently with his uncle over an open file.

"Aap sab yahan?" Kuhu asked, delight evident in her voice. She had missed them a lot.

"Bhaaaabzzz!!!" Ketki squealed, running to her and hugging her. Kuhu laughed and returned the hug with equal fervor, excited to see her best friend, her cute nanad once again.

The entire family got up and went to Kuhu, exchanging hugs with bright smiles. They had missed her so, and it seemed as if the entire room was just a little brighter with her infectious laughter echoing in it.

Kunal smiled gazing at the scene in front of him. He knew how much his family adored Kuhu, and it was quite endearing to see all of them surround Kuhu excitedly, showering her with all of their love and attention. He knew how dark and sullen his house had become without her presence. His house had no longer remained a home without her. And now, in this very moment, seeing all of his family members laughing and smiling with her, he had never felt more at home.

"Kuhu yaar, tere bin ghar ghar nahi lag raha hai!" Abir complained, draping his arm over her shoulders.

"Arey bilkul!" Naanu exclaimed. "Aisa lag raha hai ki poora ghar ki tabiyat kharaab hai. Tu ab wapas aa ja bro."

Everyone immediately began insisting. Kuhu was speechless. She locked eyes with Kunal across the room. What should she say?

Kunal cleared his throat. "Agar sab keh rahe hai, toh hume ghar wapas jaana chahiye, Kuhu. Hai na?"

Varsha looked at her daughter expectantly and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Beta, yeh ghar hamesha tumhara rahega. Lekin tumhara asli ghar ab wahan hai, jahan tumhare sasural rehte hai."

Kuhu was stuck. If she said no, then everyone would know that all was not well between her and Kunal. And if she said yes, she would be giving in. And she was still very uncertain that Kunal actually wanted to be with her. Considering everything that had happened, she wouldn't be surprised if he was only asking her to come back because he felt pressurized by his family. She valued the relationship she had with his family, and more than anything, she valued her place as a daughter-in-law in his family. But she refused to be an unwelcome burden on Kunal's life. She had been in that position initially, and it wasn't a good feeling. It was a rather... sickening feeling.

"Theek hai, lekin-" Kuhu stuttered out.

"Lekin wekin kuch nahi, I'm gonna help you pack," Mishti said excitedly, running up the stairs to start packing Kuhu's things.

"Ek minute Miss Teapot," Nishant said, walking in. He had just returned from his morning jog and had seen everything unfold.

"Woh... agar aap sab bura na maane toh... I would like Kuhu to stay back for a few more days. Woh kya hai na, main wapas London jaa raha hoon, toh I want to spend some more time with her. Plus, I'm redesigning my London office and I've been taking her help," Nishant said, side-eyeing Kuhu.

Kuhu knew why her brother was stalling for her. After she had told him about the reality of her relationship with Kunal, he was probably extremely hesitant about sending her back.

"Lekin phone pe bhi baat ho sakti hai, hai naa Nannu beta?" Bade Papa interjected. He didn't want the Rajvanshs to feel like they were keeping their daughter-in-law from them.

"Ho sakti hai. But it'll be so much easier in person. Hai naa, Kungfoo?" Nishant replied smoothly.

"Uh... haan. Agar face-to-face kaam karenge, toh kaam jaldi khatam ho jayega," Kuhu stammered.

"Great. Toh ek kaam karo, ek aur hafte tu yahan ghar pe raho. Phir uske baad chale jaana sasural," Nishant said cheerfully.

Everyone sighed in disappointment. Kunal looked at Nishant annoyedly. He knew he had been lying about the renovation. But why was he so intent on keeping Kuhu here?

After eating breakfast and bidding farewell, the Rajvanshs left with an air of dejection about them. Kunal hung back.

"Kunal? Tum bhi jaa rahe ho, hai na beta?" Shaurya asked.

"Actually papa woh..." Kunal trailed off. He didn't even have a reason to stay back anymore.

"Papa! Actually I told Kunal to stay back," Kuhu said, sensing Kunal's dilemma. She immediately mentally kicked herself. Why was she making excuses for him to stay back? Couldn't she keep her mouth shut for 5 minutes?

A surprised smile grew on Kunal's face. She wanted him to stay back. She wanted him.

Shaurya and Varsha traded knowing smiles and chuckled. Kuhu felt her face heat up and she walked away, flustered.

She went back to her room and started pacing, still in disbelief that she had said that so impulsively.

"Ugh, Kuhu! He's gonna think you're such a despo! It's not like you're dying for his company! Why did you open your big, fat mouth? Thodi der chup nahi reh sakti thi?" Kuhu muttered to herself, wringing her hands.

Just then, Nishant walked into her room and closed the door.

"Why did you ask Kunal to stay?" Nishant asked her demandingly.