The Story of My Father

Madina 90 AH

Zain-ul-Abideen POV

A sea of blood, an army of heads on spears, women with dirt in their hair, hair on their faces, a tiny grave in a dark prison, a heartbreaking cry

I shot up on my bed, my shoulders shaking with sobs. I tried to get myself under control, but it was hopeless. Baqir can from the next room, alert. He had learned to expect this. 

I pulled myself into his embrace, wondering what anyone coming in would see. A sixty-some year old man crying on his son's shoulder. The tears ran down my face, they knew the route, the burrows of on my faces from the last 30 years of tears were now permanent. I cried for my father, my brothers, my uncles, my aunts, my house that I lost in that desert. I cried for the martyrs of Karbala, the grave in a Syria, the streets of Kufa. I cried until I could cry no more and fell asleep. I didn't feel Baqir put me back to bed, but he must have because when the sun came up that's where I found myself. I slowly pulled myself out of bed and made my way to the washroom. Looking at the water, I felt the tears coming again. Lack of food and water finally got to me as I collapsed on the floor.

I woke up to someone shaking me awake. I looked up startled to see a kind face. I suddenly remembered I was in Madina, people here looked to me with respect, they didn't carry whips around. Stop thinking--I shut off my mind, it would not do to think now, because to think is to cry, and if I began to cry, I don't know how I would stop. I did wudu and sat on the prayer mat where I remained until a beggar came along. Giving him what he wanted, I asked him what his name was.

"Ya Imam, My name is Jaffer"

"Jaffer, do you know who I am?"

"Of course ya Imam, you are Zain-ul-Abideen, the leader of the Muslims.You are the Yaqub of Ale-e-Zahra"

"Do you know why they call me so?"

"Like Yaqub cried for Yusuf, you cried for Karbala."

"Do you know the story of Karbala, Jaffer?"

"Ya Imam, please tell me."

"Come, sit Jaffer, I will tell you the story of my father."