~Greater Heights~

Id never considered myself afraid of heights. I used to climb trees as a child and do all sorts of reckless things, but as the gap yawned ahead of me, I felt my heart beginning to hammer.

The sun was setting over the distant purple mountains and it was beginning to get cold.

A storm was brewing.

I debated for a moment the wisdom of the stunt I was about to pull, but when I saw how scared my brothers were, all the fear left my mind. I had to get to them.

My brothers were only six feet away, we could almost touch fingers.

I clambered up onto the railing and carefully approached the wall, clinging onto the decorative golden ledge above me, and praying for physical, and mental strength. My bare feet gripped easily onto the white brick underneath me, I inched over slowly.

"Careful Wendy!" John exclaimed.

It was excruciatingly slow, and each time I glanced down for a foothold my stomach dropped.

But with some luck...

I eventually made it onto the other balcony, shakily wrapping my brother's into a warm hug.

"I'm so sorry! I should never have said those things!" John sobbed into my shoulder.

His face was pale and streaked with tears.

"This is my fault, I shouldn't have left you alone." I replied, shaking my head.

"I shouldn't have goaded you." John sniffled.

I let out a sigh, "We both did regrettable things..."

Michael frowned, "I'm scared Wendy."

John sighed, "What are we going to do now?"

I pulled my brothers into the room and shut the doors.

I thought for a moment, there was no way we could escape the palace unaided. The locks on our doors were strong, and the drop from the balconies, was way too high. And though I hated to admit it, I didn't know what these Fae had in store for me and my brothers.

I frowned in resignation. "We're going to do the one thing we can do... play along."

"Play Along?!" John exclaimed. "Wendy!"

"Look John, we don't know what's going on here, the more we learn the easier it will be to escape."

He sighed and nervously adjusted his glasses, "What about Peter?"

"What about him?" I asked.

"Aren't you afraid of him?"

I bit my lip, "Yes, but we must be brave. Sometimes bravery is pretending to be brave even when you're not." I pet both of the boys' hair gently.

"Michael can you do that? Can you pretend to be brave."

Michael nodded slightly into my shoulder. "I'll pretend to be a soldier."

I smiled. "All good soldiers get their rest."

Michael padded over to the giant four poster bed, and clambered into it.

He smiled back at me.

"Goodnight Wendy."

"Goodnight Michael." I replied, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

Michael closed his eyes and I led John onto the balcony. Though the cold wind swept off the nearby mountain range, I really needed to talk to him.