Five Alive

Tosh entered the room of countless bodies.

The place an eery quiet but she honestly wasn't surprised, the event that had transpired just a few hours before were horrid and something they should have foreseen and stopped. But the team slipped up and missed it. Now the room she had just entered had its floor covered almost inch by inch by berry red blankets each one lined up sympathetical and parallel. It was far too perfect for such a tragic event. A number say by each one and Tosh couldn't look at the last card. She didn't want to know the toll.

But for now, she wasn't here for them. Each body would be claimed and collected but a loved one and Tosh would have no involvement with that. Instead, she was here just for a certain two.

She searched the corridors as she walked in, someone offered her condolences on whatever loss she might have faced, not knowing she was here for the only two that could have survived the alien attack. Tosh brushed it off, asking where her two lay. Tosh ignored the lingering eyes that followed her along as strode down the long line of covered heads and feet. The clanking of her heels echoed around the room, making her the centre of attention. To her fortune, the eyes all looked away as she slowly knelt between the two forms on the cold floor.

Her hands reached out tentatively, almost scared to peel back the cover in case she found herself faced with two permanently dead bodies. The only hope she had right now was that they wouldn't be gone, they never were so far. So, she folded the fabric back, careful for no particular reason other than it might look wrong if she was to fling the covers back like some dramatic magicians. But then again, seeing two people get up when they should be dead was probably just as wrong.

Next, Tosh gently whispered a name, smiling just a but as two pairs of eyes shot open almost simultaneously. One lot was accompanied by a loud gasp and the other reassuringly silent.

~~~

"You took your time, Tosh."

The Japanese woman spun around to throw a light glare at her dead companion, head tilting to the side as she caught his eyes.

"Be quiet Owen, it's not easy when you're being hunted by the government."

"Mmm."

Jack, on the other hand, stood inaudibly with his eyes sweeping across the room of red mounds. He hated it already, stomach-churning at just the numbers of innocent lives taken by the 456. Too much death thanks to that goddamn alien and dastardly government. This was their fault just as much at Torchwood's, wanting to keep Britain's first contact with the 456 under wraps and away from the rest of the world. If they'd have been thinking of more than themselves maybe those in Thames House would still be alive right now.

And Torchwood's plan had fallen through too but Jack wouldn't have had to make it if the government hadn't been selfish. Still, they had their evidence they collected which they could then share to the world. Only, it wouldn't bring back the dead or do them justice.

Jack was just glad he'd decided not to bring anyone other than Owen in there with him.

"Tosh?" He finally spoke up and managing to tear his eyes away from the massacre before him. He pulled his coat around him a little tighter, collar pulled up. The room felt cold and even Jack could sense it. Tosh and Owen joined him at his side. "Gwen and Ianto, how are they doing?"

"They're at the location. I haven't been able to contact them since they arrived, don't want to give away their position."

Jack nodded and chewed on his bottom lip. He hoped the two were doing better than they were. He wanted to see them, especially Ianto after going through another death but right now he needed to find his daughter and grandson before saving the world's children.