VII

Dedicated to @FTRSLOVER2 for giving me motivation to continue!

March 9th, 2004

The preparations were in place. Bill had the test subject ready.
Then the lab was broken into, and the patent files stolen.
It was a difficult day, as all the samples we had taken of the first subject, were scattered over the ground.
The test date has been postponed to the twelfth. If the patent files are not found by then, we will reschedule, and resend the request to the lawyer.
To do before the twelfth:
-Send letter to the Chief Director RE sponsors and funding.
-Run Rosabel through safety procedures.
-Send letters of recognition to the Myers.
-Pick up boxes from Bill's.
-Order the following:
-Tee-shirts for fundraiser
-Filers for Rosabel's office
Dawn laid back on her bed, closing the book, as her eyes drooped shut. It was past midnight, and she had been reading for a few minutes.
Though she had faced trouble starting, Dawn had worked through some homework that evening. She was almost completed her own stack of work, and was part way through Griffin's.
But she was tired. Her eyelids slid down, and she often shook herself awake, and picked up the book that had fallen onto her lap.
Finally, Dawn flicked off her light, and laid down.
Immediately, she fell asleep, but there was no true rest in her slumber. She strolled through restless dreams. At some points, she saw pictures, and scenes from her life, played out. Her mother's smile. It danced across her face, igniting a light in her eyes. She saw her childhood pet; a dog named Elvie. The dog had been run over by a car. She remembered her favourite teacher; Mrs. Dicarlo. Mrs. Dicarlo had died in child birth, along with her still-born triplets.
As more thoughts came to Dawn's head, she sensed a similarity between everything. All the things she was thinking about, were things she had lost. Things she had once had. Things that had made Dawn's life better. But all things that had disappeared so quickly.
Things that Dawn looked for when she was in need of comfort.
   Life was filled with so many unpredictable twists and turns. Dawn had been through a fair few. And it wasn't always fun. Sometimes, she wanted to give up. To lay herself down, and accept that it was never going to be pleasant.
   The only thing stopping her from doing that, was the realization, that she would be betraying everyone by doing that. She'd be betraying her father, her family, even the people she didn't know well—people she seen, or met briefly.
   But even more than that, she'd be betraying the people she'd lost. Her mother. Her other family members. Even her little dog Elvie.
   They were the brave, strong people, who had also pushed through the hardships in life. And though they'd been fighting their own battles—working hard to keep themselves from crumbling under the weight of life—they had still helped her. Still found time to comfort her. To affect her life, for better or for worse. To teach her lessons, to prepare her for the gale-force winds that would push against her sails later in life.
   For all the people who had helped her, she needed to stay strong.