Chapter 2

Maddie woke up and stretched, petting Permafrost lightly. Permafrost nuzzled her hand, her scales cool to the touch. She climbed down the bed, put on her glasses, and walked over to the window. Opening it, she breathed in the fresh morning air and smiled. "I have a good feeling about today," she spoke out loud. A pair of Carel birds flitted by.

Carel birds were small, sparrow-sized birds with swirly wings and curved beaks. They came in rainbow colors and their notes were soft and sweet. These were a pair of red and blue ones that tweeted a soft melody.

Maddie went to her drawer. It had nothing in it, but Maddie would have plenty of time to fill it up. She put on a cute pair of light blue leggings and a navy skirt, then put a light purple shirt and a jean jacket. She put on her navy high top sneakers and brushed her hair. Then she ran down to the courtyard.

Aubree was back human, looking well-rested, rubbing Isabelle's steaming forehead. She was stirring, her eyebrows furrowed. She was wearing a new outfit, black leggings and a purple blouse.

In the hot August air, Aubree's hair had gone completely crazy, unlike the morning, when she had straightened it. Now it looked like a lion's mane. Isabelle sat up and looked around, confused. Then she curled into a ball and held her head in her hands in pain.

Aubree put a finger up to her mouth. "Don't talk. Transforming gives them a very awful fever."

Maddie helped Aubree pick up Isabelle, Maddie sending some cool ice to cover her forehead to soothe her fever. They brought her to their dorm and Aubree went to get Isabelle some Tylenol from her bags. Permafrost blew icicles in the air and they formed the words:

You need to go to Aiden w/ your friends, Maddie.

Maddie was amazed that Permafrost knew the 'w/' memo. Maddie grabbed a breakfast for Aubree and herself. Then she walked out the door. Behind her, someone grabbed her skirt and pulled her back in.

"Where do you think you're going?" Jya asked. "Last I recalled I don't want to be left in the dark."

Aubree was snarfing down an endless amount of bacon which she took from the fridge and cooking them with lightning. Jya ran over to her and grabbed some from the plate. "First you don't tell me about Isabelle being a werewolf, and now you're leaving to go to..." Jya thought, scratching her chin like she had a beard and looking up. "Some secret agency that saves puppies from trees?!?" Her eyes were as wide as saucers and she glared at Maddie. Maddie laughed lightly, smacking her palm against her forehead, and shook her head.

"But one thing's for sure." Aubree was still snarfing down the bacon. "This bacon is very nice. Not too juicy, not too crispy!" Jya sent a wave of warm air and the bacon went all crispy.

"Jyaaaaaaaa no!" Aubree screamed and started chasing Jya around their dorm. Jya was fake crying.

"Save me! She's going to kill me!!!!!!!!"

"Um," Maddie said. "I was going to tell you. Okay, so, last night, I was coming back inside and I saw this boy, Aiden. Apparently he saved the school in his first year. But he told me that he wouldn't tell anyone about Isabelle and told me he can teach us a skill to help Isabelle. I'm looking for him."

"I wanna come!" Aubree yelled, jumping up and hitting her head on Jya's elbow. Jya was standing next to her. "Ow." she rubbed her head.

"Me too!!!!!" Jya called after her, devouring the last of the bacon.

"OK." Maddie walked out. Jya and Aubree followed her. Aubree was wearing her jeans, which she had already ripped, a team Magi shirt, and some green converse.