The legacy of a warrior....

Short info: I ask all readers to let this music play, because I wrote exactly at that one and it reproduces the atmosphere so beautifully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4il1aWstQFU

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The first sun rays of the new day gently covered the city like a veil and bathed it in a golden light. Stones, cars, trees... Just like the window, into the room, where a figure lay leaning against the wall, eyes closed, legs stretched out. Breathing calmly and steadily, still in a twilight-like state.

He awoke with the first promises of the new day, and yet he had not found sleep despite the time. He had lain awake half the night thinking. About so many things as he had not thought about for a long time. About the past, the present, and what might come. Today would be the day. It was the day he had prepared for. For days, tirelessly with this goal in mind, as he had not done for a few years. Not knowing if his efforts would be enough to destroy the evil that had afflicted them all. That threatened them all. Day after day.

Exhausted from all the thinking, he let his head hang down, his eyes fixed on the small device that lay next to him. As long and untouched as it had lingered beside him. Did he want to do that? Was this the last thing he wanted to leave behind? Only that one? But what else could it have been? When he thought back on it... what else was there to remember him by? Just bad things that could and should have been forgotten, and yet... His eyes would cling to the jewel again, pick it up and look at it. There was someone... No, there were two, maybe even three people who cared about him over time. Who saw more in him. Sighing, his head leaning back against the wall, his arm sinking to his legs and his gaze turned to the sky, he thought back. Back to a time before the here and now. A time when he had found no peace when he was restless and lonely. A time when hatred and violence ruled his life. No hope of a free life without betrayal and corruption.

But someone had saved him. Broke him out of that vicious circle and gave him a second chance. A chance to start over. To leave everything behind and still... He had never really taken it. Loathed her and threw her away. He took what he needed and never really gave it. And it wasn't until now, after all this time, after all these years, that he realized what had become important to him. Without realizing it, he had used them, got a new life, and found people who had become important to him. Deep inside he knew it. Knew what he was living and fighting for now and... and die for.

One target from back then had disappeared and another had taken its place. He closed his eyes and recalled the image in his memory. The image of those beings he had pledged to protect. That night he had not been with her, not at her side. He had not even told her what he was going to do. It would come as it had to come. He had only watched her sleep. So peaceful and pure, unlike him. He couldn't have done it, telling her how he felt, what he thought. He had never said anything, but what he did usually said more than a thousand words, and she knew it, ... always knew what it meant. That was something he treasured about her, and yet... Just at the moment when he had decided for himself that this day would be the one that changed everything... He couldn't have told her. He couldn't have told her what moved him, what he felt.