Chapter • 4

I never thought I'd be doing this in the Throne Room. I might have died if the person I was fighting wasn't my mother. I already had a bruise on my arm from where she had hit me and was currently defending myself by dodging her blows– until her foot swung up and hit me in the head. I bit back my pain and refused to let my body fall to the ground. My head was throbbing, but I shook away the dizziness that threatened to creep up.

"If you can't defeat me, then you'll never make it in the Test," I heard my mother snarl. You might be wondering, why is my mother trying to kill me? She wasn't, firstly, and this is how Training with my mother always was. She wanted me to experience real combat that wasn't held back. We usually never really trained together, but this was different. The Test was literally starting after tonight.

"Please," I scoffed, "if I can even get a hit on you I'm the only one who will survive the Test."

A punch flew from out of nowhere that I managed to dodge, flipping backwards and managing to kick my mother in the back of her head.

Yes!

But my mother was not like Trainer Jun. Although Trainer Jun was the most experienced Martial Artist of this lifetime and landing a hit on him was a feat in itself, my mother did not teach like he did. One hit did not suffice; I had to defeat her.

I managed to dodge her next attack, sliding underneath her and popping up to my feet when I reached the other side, ramming my elbow into her back. I took no time in wrapping my arm around her neck, locking her into a choke and forcing her to her knees.

Two taps on my arm told me to let go, and I did. My mother inhaled deeply before slowly getting to her feet.

"You'll definitely win," she nodded, glancing at a clock. "Training time is up. Go eat lunch and then freshen up. I'll meet you in your room to help you pack."

With that said, she turned and strutted out of the Throne Room, leaving me to go eat my stupid lunch.

I didn't eat much as I wasn't particularly hungry. Instead, I drank water, taking a walk around the palace to see other candidates. Usually if you were wealthy, you'd train like I had been. The palace had state of the art training facilities, so most wealthy candidates would be there.

Poor candidates, however, usually enjoyed the luxuries provided. It was uncommon to see any of them training. After all, it was easier to enjoy things you had never gotten before than doing something you'd done every day of your life.

I decided to head to the training facilities. I wasn't going to train more, but I wanted to try and pick out weaknesses of some of the Candidates.

I only peaked in for a moment, but I was surprised at what I saw. All the wealthy candidates were training, some practicing their powers while others were sparing, but that wasn't what surprised me.

Close to the back, two males were practicing fighting together. One of them I recognized as Michael Green, a wealthy martial artist who my mother hated. The other... was San.

I almost choked on my water in surprise. A poor candidate, training? Why wasn't he off enjoying the gardens or relaxing in a spa? I decided to walk into the training room, setting my water down on a bench and surveying the candidates.

Some stopped the moment I walked in, looking at me, searching me for weakness.

They'll find none, I assured myself. I saw Tace among them. He was looking at me hungrily, eyes locked onto me.

"Your highness," a voice called out to me. I turned to see a guard walking towards me, bowing his head apologetically. "Forgive me, but Mr. Jun and the Queen request your presence in your quarters."