What is writing?

The ability to communicate both verbally and through writing is perhaps one of the greatest evolutionary developments humans have had the fortune of experiencing. Language has super propelled our society over the millennia, has profoundly impacted the way we think and is the main cause for our understanding of our surroundings in the world. Humanity’s inept thirst for knowledge and boundless curiosity is quenched by written and verbal prose.
           Specifically, writing is a tool that teaches us about an author's ideas, intellect, and thought process. Writing gives an author the freedom to express his ideas that he might not be able to verbally communicate. Writing is a teacher that can lead anyone who chooses to pick up the right book to a wealth of wisdom. Writing is a window through which we can gaze at the beauty of an individual's consciousness at work. Writing is never going to leave and will always have a place in our society and species.
    The power of writing is frightening but equally fascinating. Without writing, we would be far away from an intelligent species. The ability to extrapolate our thoughts is purely an accomplishment only humans can experience. It is perhaps our language, and the ability to record that language, that we owe every advancement in human history to.