1st person

Sonia walked onto the stage, her loose dark red hair framing her pale features. Guitar, bass and jazz drums started playing in unison. The room exploded in applause. This was what they’d been waiting for, the song I’d heard her sing countless times. She started humming with the music, eyes closed. Her body softly swayed to the tune.
        The crowd went silent as she intoned “Mississippi, in the middle of a dry spell…”. Black Velvet, her signature song, the one that had originally brought her notoriety all those years ago. She rarely sang it now. It brought back memories of the first time I’d seen her perform, the first time I’d met her.
        “…Everything, always wanting more, needing and longing for…” Her eyes kept scanning the crowd. She stopped moving, she’d spotted me.
        With the glass of red in my hand, I lifted it, toasting her. Our eyes connected and I forgot everything: the stage, the lights, the crowd, everything except her eyes… and her voice. It felt like velvet to my ears… “…Black Velvet if you please…” She kept singing. I shuddered. She smiled her sexiest smile.
        I held her gaze for an eternity, or just a second. She moved on. Sonia’s confidence on stage had greatly increased since that first audition I’d seen by chance, she now appeared to own the place. “…A new religion that will bring her to your knees…”.
        Her sapphire eyes, and her voice had me under her spell. She looked at me again, winked, and blew a kiss at me.
        The lights dimmed, the music ended. She walked off the stage. My heart stopped.