12:09 am

The door slammed and there was a loud thump. Footsteps could be heard creaking across the weathered floorboards of the desolate apartment. The footsteps stopped and the bedroom door scraped harshly open. A man was sitting on the bed, staring out the window idly. 

"Dante?"

The man turned his head, his pale face visible in the glow of the setting sun. His black hair brushed his shoulders as he stood, a grin on his petite face. "Corbin!" He sauntered over and embraced the taller man. "Where were you? I woke up and you weren't here." 

Corbin shrugged. "I was helping Maxwell move into his apartment. Santiago was helping too. I didn't want to bother you any, so I decided to let you sleep in."

"Oh." Dante glanced down at a cockroach scuttling across the floorboards. "I missed you." He let out a quiet sigh, looking back up and gazing into Corbin's dark eyes. The two made their way to the bed and sat, leaning against each other. 

Dante broke the silence. "You know we can't pay the rent this month." 

Corbin sighed. "I'm not living in that car again." His hand trailed over to Dante's thigh and rubbed it gently. "...but as long as I'm with you, I'll be okay." He smiled and glanced over at Dante, who was blushing profusely. "We should go to bed." Corbin murmured, brushing Dante's long black hair out of his face. He planted a kiss on the smaller boy's cheek and laid down on the old mattress, which sat on the floor. The mattress was old and dirty, and the two had picked it up out of an alley somewhere in the city. It was the best they could do, though, and neither of them ever complained. 

They drifted into a quiet slumber as the sun began to set.

Dante awoke first, held close to Corbin with his strong arms. He yawned, kissed Corbin on the cheek, and snuggled into his chest. Corbin's soft breathing was like music to Dante's ears and he couldn't help but smile. Despite their situation, the two were happy. Not that they weren't happy before, but now they could at least live together alone. Previously, they had been living with Maxwell and Santiago in a van as they drove around the country. Dante began to fall back asleep when he suddenly felt something sharp jabbing into his upper neck.

"Ow, Corbin. Stop it. Wake up." Dante pushed Corbin away until his dark eyes fluttered open. Corbin yawned, his fangs visible in the glow of the morning sun. "Was I biting you again in my sleep?" He asked groggily, rubbing his eyes. 

"Mhm," Dante grumbled. He got out of bed and made his way to the bedroom door. "I'm gonna go make coffee. You want some?" 

Corbin nodded and sat up. "I think I'll go take a walk outside...." He muttered sleepily. Pulling on some pants and a shirt, he stumbled towards the window and stepped out onto the fire escape. 

The city was already bustling. Corbin dodged traffic and large groups of people as he wandered. Since it was still early, the sun hadn't fully risen yet. He found himself idly walking in the direction of Maxwell's new apartment. Maxwell was generally respectable, laid back, and hardworking. He hardly ever seemed to cause any trouble and was very low maintenance.  When Corbin reached the apartment, he sensed that no one was there. It wasn't uncommon for Maxwell to be out and about, so he didn't think much of it.