Teach Me

A  loud shrill of the dreaded bell resonated throughout the school. A couple of dissatisfied groans from students echoed signalling that lunch was over. Every single students started piling up the hallways as they head towards their last class of the day.

I grunted as I remembered that I have English as my last class. It's not that I hated English, it was the teacher that made me hate the class. Mr. Gilles was the most boring and the most unhelpful teacher you could ever have. I swear to god the old man hated his job by the look he gave us while teaching. I mean the feeling is mutual; no one ever liked the man, he makes the subject even more unbearable.

I mean even the nerds were having a hard time because the guy can't fucking teach. No offence to him but he should be the one who is sitting down with us instead of teaching, I think he will do better at that. 

After the hoard of students was somewhat gone, I made my way to that forsaken class. I took a sharp turn past the English hall and walked my way to my impending doom. "Time to have another failing class to a failing teacher again." I mumbled.

I sat down at my desk and everyone seemed to be minding their own business as they started to chat with each other. I quickly pulled up my phone to see if I had any messages from any of my friends. As I was about to open my phone, someone had ruffled my hair and immediately I knew who that person was.

"How many times do I have to tell you, never fucking touch my hair you twat." I said while fixed my auburn hair.

Todd looked at me funny before he went to his sit. "Chill down Derrick, I was just trying to get your attention."

"You could've just tapped my shoulder instead." I said while I gave him punch on the shoulder. 

"Anyways dude, don't forget the practice for the regionals starts next week." Todd said.

"Ugh damnit! The family already planned something next week. I thought the practice would be next week after that!" I sighed while I smashed my hands at my desk making some of the students looked at my way. I ignored their curious as I was busy minding my predicament. 

"Dude you just can't go to the practice, the team needs you. You know coach would be—" Todd was cut off and as well everyone who were chatting, as someone cleared their throat. 

"Well I take it that I have everybody's attention?" The unknown person said. 

We were all dumbfounded as there was no Mr. Gilles right in front of us but a young man instead, no later than in his twenties. My curiosity peaked as to whom was standing in front us as he looked like any other student in this school. One of the girls in the class raised her hands and the young man gestured her to speak.

"May I ask who are you and where's Mr. Gilles?" She asked with her high pitched voice.

He flashed a small smile and pretty much every girl in the class started to swoon. "I thought you'd never ask. Well in case you're wondering why Mr. Gilles is not here because he is in medical leave and I'll be substituting for him until he gets better and or a replacement." He finished and he began to sit on Mr. G's desk and crossed him arms.

Literally all of us cheered at the idea of our teacher not being here and the possibility of getting replaced. Call it rude but I called it an advantage of actually learning; I may be a jock but I gotta at least try to have a decent grade. I mean not having a good grade also means that I won't be able to play and that right there is a big no no. Playing football has been my passion growing up and if I have to get good grades in order to keep playing then so be it. 

When the cheering got a little bit out of hand, the substitute, who we haven't heard the name yet, whistled loud which got our immediate attention.

"I don't remember being this wild when I was in high school. But anyways my name is Tristan Foley, you could call me Mr. Foley but Tristan is also fine. I am not that old yet to be called mister." Mr. Foley said. Calling a teacher with their first name sounds a bit weird but calling him mister with that face sounds weirder, I guess I have to get used to it then.