How to plan a book / My personal writing process!

My writing proccess starts very simply with just an idea, an idea which could be turned into a story. But the most important thing for any young writer to remember, is that you won't be perfect the first time. Everyone has room to improve and better themselves, start that improvement with a solid concise plan.

Put simply, the idea is where all great authors begin, the key part of writing though is the planning. There are many ways to plan your book, or not plan it at all, but here is my personal way of planning that allowed me to finish a book in under a year.

Firstly, make a list of main and side characters (you don't need to do every character since some characters appear on the spot or later in the planning/writing process)

Firstly, make a list of main and side characters (you don't need to do every character since some characters appear on the spot or later in the planning/writing process). Even if it's just a list of names, have a list ready in order to expand on the characters as you keep writing.

E.g.
- Idea -
A book about a boy searching for his family after his eyesight was taken by the gods.
- Characters -
Winter - Main character, searching for his family.
Parent one -
Parent two -
Brother/sister -
Side character/Main characters friend -

Describe how each character is at the start of the story, giving as much detail as possible (always remember that you can add to this as you think about it more). But focus souly on the characters at the start of the story, what are they like before the book has even began? How will they develop?

Next, you also need to describe the type of world at the start of the story, and the rules of the world that shouldn't be broken throughout the book. Even if the rules aren't stated in the book, you as a writer shouldn't break them.

E.g.
- Idea -
A book about a boy searching for his family after his eyesight was taken by the gods.
- Characters -
Winter - Main character, searching for his family. At the start he is cold, unforgiving and ruthless. Doesn't care about anyone else and just wants to get home.
Parent one - (Repeat process)
Parent two - (Repeat process)
Brother/sister - (Repeat process)
Side character/Main characters friend - (Repeat process)
- World at start -
The world at the start is a fantasy world based around my world of Inketer, rules about the world cannot be broken, so no OP moves or OP magic.

Next, make space for the events that will lead up to your desired ending. But more importantly, write out what you want as the ending first! Just like we did before with your characters and your world. But this time, what are they like at the end of the book? Are they alive? Did they change at all?

After you have fully plotted your ending, make sure to look at the differences between the characters at the beginning and the end. Then you start on the events inbetween, events which will lead to those changes seen between the beginning and the end. They don't have to be detailed at all, just simple points of what you want to happen. But it's simple points like that which let you branch out into more complex points over time, eventually helping you develop key scenes and perfect dialogue points.

Before you know it, you've got a whole book load of plot points and ideas.

This is helpful because now you can write the story out of order, plan for foreshadowing later in the book and help you plan for sequels or foreshadowing in spin offs/interlocking stories. Most importantly though is the point about writing out of order. As long as you know where the story is going, you can write any scene throughout the book and still make it to the end. So if you're stuck writing the opening chapter, skip it and start chapter 7.