Chapter 85

The fact that Hermione still looked rather flushed when she entered the conference room didn't go unnoticed by the Snatchers. One of them immediately made a remark about it.

"Are you feeling quite well, Mrs Crouch? You look a bit feverish."

"I'm feeling well, but thank you for your concern, Mr...?"

"Henshaw, ma'am," the man said.

"Well, thank you, Henshaw," Hermione said, and she sat down on her chair.

"If we're done with the pleasantries, I would like to get down to the point. You've all received my letter-" Barty said, while sitting down as well.

"Yeah, otherwise we wouldn't have been here," a man called Broswick joked.

This time no one laughed with him, having learned from their mistake earlier that afternoon.

"I believe I haven't been clear enough earlier?" Barty said, raising his eyebrows. "I do not appreciate people who try to be funny, and I appreciate it even less when people start talking while I am speaking."

"Sorry, sir," Broswick quickly apologized.

"Good. First things first. Has any of you been in contact with Lucius Malfoy lately?" Barty asked bluntly.

Broswick raised his hand, and Henshaw followed. The rest remained completely still.

"What about?" Barty continued, directing his question first at Broswick.

"I often bring in fugitives or traitors to him first, like we always do. We hunt people down and we bring them to Malfoy Manor. Mr Malfoy then sends them either to court or to the Dark Lord. He often gives me some extra money, I don't know why. He even says that I might be able to apply for a job at the Ministry soon."

"You get extra money?!" Henshaw exclaimed. "Does anyone else here?"

No one raised their hand, they all shook their heads instead. Hermione knew why this was the case. Broswick was a Pureblood, and he took care of quite a large area with his rather large group. Lucius probably saw him as influential.

"I'll tell you why that is," Barty said calmly. "Malfoy is a filthy traitor to the Dark Lord. Behind our master's back, he is trying to gain more and more influence. He wants to win people like you for him, so that he can build up his own army eventually. He is a coward, a liar, and frankly it surprises me that he has only been paying one of you. I want to expose Malfoy like the traitor he is, but I need evidence for that. And that is where you all come in. I want you to testify against Malfoy to the Dark Lord himself."

"And what if I refuse?" Broswick asked. "He pays me extra, and it's not like I've been disloyal towards the Dark Lord. Mr Malfoy hasn't been either."

"Yeah, we would be lying to the Dark Lord," a Snatcher sitting at the far end of the table said.

"I wasn't asking you for opinions," Barty said slowly. "You are all going to testify against Malfoy, that's an order. Now, what you are exactly going to say, is-"

"I'm not doing it," Broswick said bluntly, crossing his arms. "I'm not going to spread any lies."

Barty let his gaze rest on Broswick for a moment, making sure not to leave eye contact.

"Excuse me?" Barty asked with such danger in his voice that even Hermione felt herself swallow involuntarily.

"I'm not doing it. Sir."

"Have you got any idea how dangerous it is to disobey me? Hmm?" Barty asked the man.

"You are famous for being a devoted Death Eater, sir, a smart and powerful man. I would never dare disobey you, but this case is different. You are crossing a line. You are setting up a lie just to get rid of Mr Malfoy, and I think you should be ashamed of yourself," Broswick remarked.