Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"Answer me seriously."

"I promise."

Pinanliitan ko siya ng mata bago nagtanong.

"Why did you showed me this?" I waved the picture in my hand.

"For an exchange.." He slowly said.

Pagak akong tumawa, "You think so low of me."

Agad siyang napabaling ng marinig ang sinabi ko, "No. I know your Kuya wanted the Hacienda Sotomayor back."  His voice became firm. Umigting ang panga niya.

Nagtiim bagang ako. How far can his curiousity go? Now that it seems he knew a lot, I wanna know too how far is his knowlege about this.

Yes, Kuya wanted our Hacienda back. Pinag-iipunan naming dalawa iyon. Hindi nga lang namin alam noon kung sino ang may-ari dahil inatake si Mama sa puso ng malaman ni Kuya ang ginawa niya. Ayaw naman naming tanungin ngayon na maayos na dahil baka atakehin uli siya. Mahirap na.

"Then? Are you also expecting that I want it back?"

"Yes." He stared at my eyes intently.

"Oh yes, I want it back. But it's not enough to say yes to your fucking proposal." Sagot ko at tinitingan siya ng mariin.

"Why?" He looked calm and collected. Nagtaka ako roon.

"That's crazy."

"What's crazy with being married to me and having the whole Hacienda Sotomayor and  the Mansion Costales. And ah, I'll pay for your father's remaining debts too." Nalaglag ang panga ko sa sinabi niya. Fuck! Siya rin ba ang nakabili noon?! Damn!

It has been selled when we can't handle Mama's finances in the hospital and ofcourse her treatments too. Hindi kalakhan ang farm pero may binabayaran kaming tax. Hindi pa kasama na nag-aaral pa kami ni Kuya at ang mga utang ni Papa. At ang sweldo ng mga tauhan namin noon. That's when my brother decided to sell the mansion. I got mad at him when he told me what he did. I treasured the memories so much that it hurt me. And he said he'll pay my father's debts?!

"Yes, I bought it too, Nymphadora."

Galit ko siyang tiningnan pero walang salitang lumabas sa bibig ko. I was taken a back with his words. Damn! I'm desperate to take back the mansion because that's the only thing Mama has before she married Papa. Kuya and I grew up there. That's where they also got married. I remember Papa's words before he died. He told us to sell the Hacienda but not the Mansion Costales for his debts. But Kuya did what he needed to do. He was pressured to raise me and take care of Mama. In his early age, napilitan siyang magbanat ng buto para lang makatulong at makapagbayad ng paunti-unti sa mga utang ni Papa!

"How dare you..." Galit at mahina kong sagot.  May nangilid na luha sa mata ko. I realized how desperate I become minute by minute. But there's something inside me saying that I shouldn't step low for this.

"Marry me for a year, then you can have the Hacienda and Mansion back and you'll be free from your father's debts." His voice sounded cold. He held my back and stared at my eyes.  A year?! A fricking year?!

He wiped the side of my eyes even before the tears fell, " Just a year, Nymphadora." His eyes softened and as well as his voice. His touch felt like a feather personified kahit na may gaspang ng kaunti.

We remained that way a little. I was silently crying while looking at his eyes. His stare showed pity and something I can't name. He held the small of my back. Hinayaan niya akong umiyak sa harap niya habang hinahabol ng daliri niya ang mga luha ko. And given with the little time and looking at his jet black eyes and the desperation I felt for all these years. Will it be worth it to step low just so I can have those?