~17~

After Zak and his debacle, Darryl went into the back room, grabbing a water bottle, and taking a sip.

He wasn't sure what to feel.

Sure, Zak was annoying sometimes and lacked a certain maturity.

But he was also understanding and a good friend.

Not to mention his adorable laugh and the fact that he literally found everything hilarious.

Darryl recounted one of their more wholesome conversations, before Harvey had shown up.

"Come on, let's go out and find some people!" Zak cried, while lying down on the counter, next to the cash register.

"No, you fatty, we're safer in here. Besides, anyone out there will probably try to kill us."

"Please! I'm so bored."

"Yeah, well, I'd rather you be bored than dead."

"Listen. I'll protect you, okay? I'm not very big, but I'll protect you."

Darryl was about to object, but was interrupted by the other.

"Listen, listen. I'm not very big, but I'll protect you, okay?"

"Okay?"

"No, no Zak-"

"OKAY?"

At this point, Darryl gave up trying to argue with the smaller, so he finally agreed, but only that they'd travel in the same block.

They got to a frozen yogurt shop that was completely out of power.

Zak was upset that all the yogurt had melted, but cheered up when Darryl found a bunch of jars of untouched toppings.

So the two had sprinkles and chocolate chips, and those little hunks of brownie, and half melted peanut butter cups, which sounds disgusting, but was surprisingly good.

And Darryl couldn't help but notice how happy Zak was throughout the entire trip. His face literally lit up when they'd found the stash of toppings, and all of that just made Darryl want to make him happy all the time.

He was a kid in a candy store.

Darryl sank to the floor sitting in silence for a moment, then heard footsteps.

It was Zak, who joined him on the floor.

"Hey, baldy," he said. "Sorry about that, I- I don't know what got into me."

"No no, it's okay. You're a good muffin."

"Speaking of which . . . I found a box of muffin mix. It's not the same, but maybe when all of this is over . . . we can make some real muffins? Ones that haven't been out for two months already?"

Darryl smiled.

"I'd love to."

Darryl fiddled with the bottle cap in his hand. It was then that Zak noticed the small collection of scars on his wrist, barely visible in the dim light.

"Oh my god, Darryl, I-"

He shushed the other.

"I was in an abusive relationship," he said quietly. "Not physically, but emotionally. My partner made me feel worthless, and reduced me to nothing. For a short while, I turned to self harm as a solution. But I was surrounded by good people who helped me out of it and supported me. It took some time, but eventually my scars healed, both metaphorically and literally."

"I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. It took me a while to be able to love someone again, but things are better."

Darryl looked at Zak, who looked like he was about to cry, and offered him a smile.

Zak saw this and threw his arms around the other, enveloping him in a warm hug.

"Aw, Zak, don't be sad. I'm okay now-"

"I'm going to protect you, you bald potato muffin head lookin' thing."

"Aw, I love you too, you muffin. Wait, what did you call me?"

"Nothing. Wait, you love me?"

Darryl immediately regretted saying that.

"You know what I meant," Darryl said, his cheeks lighting up red.

"Sureeeeeeee I do. Sureeeeeeee."

"Come here you numpty muffin."

At this point Darryl didn't care about his little slip up. Zak rested his head on his chest.

"You're a ping spoofer," Zak said, looking up at Darryl.

"You're a fatty potato."

"Yeah, but at least I'm not bald."

"Oh come on Zak, you just ruined our moment."

a/n: wHoLeSoMe.

sue me, i like to torture my characters. but what writer doesn't? anyways some insight to bbh and his ex, i just used partner and they/them pronouns because i didn't want to choose a gender and i was lazy and never changed it so they remained they. that didn't make any sense sry. 

i'm working on a cover for my historical fiction book, they belong to the earth, and it will be out within the next week i hope if anyone is interested

ily guys :)))