Chapter 3

"I like this one," Jolene says, holding up a hunter green jumpsuit.

"Me too," I agree. Jolene and I have similar wardrobes. We don't own dresses; we own jeans and t-shirts, "Try this on when you try that one." I hand her a red dress that has a t-shirt style top and a skirt part that went to her knees.

"It has pockets," Jolene's eyes go wide.

"And that's the only good type of dress; one with pockets." While she goes to try it on, I take out my phone and read a DM on Facebook from a fan asking me a question.

I don't know if I'm allowed to DM you or not(Famous people kind of confuse me, sorry) but I was just wondering if you were planning on doing a greet after the trials or not.

Her username was FlippinGymnast_Kelsea and I made a mental note to check her page out later.

You are totally fine to DM me, no worries. And I wouldn't say I'm famous😊. I would love to do a meet and greet at some point, but I'm not sure if I will. And I love your username!

I click send as Jolene comes out in the green jumper.

"What was that?" She peeks at my phone.

"Just people," I tell her. Her face gets scrunched up, "Was it someone hating?"

"Not at all!" I assure her, "She was actually really sweet."

"Okay. What do you think?" She gestures to the outfit she wears, "I don't think I like it."

"I like the color, but the style of the way it fits is weird."

"That's what I was thinking. It's all weird and tight on my legs, but baggy on my arms."

"Yeah. Try the red one." Jolene emerges from the changing room minutes later in the red dress.

"Ooh, I like it," I applaud.

"Me too, honestly. It is really comfortable. I think if I were to wear a white sweater and white flats it would work," She says.

"100%," I agree. While she changes back into her clothes, I grab my mom and Jolene's mom from the store over and Josie's mom pays for the dress.

Afterward, we get smoothies. At first, Jolene suggested milkshakes, but remembered my strict diet, so we got lame smoothies.

"How is your weird low sugar kale concoction?" Jolene teases when we sit down at a bench.

"Not horrible," I insist, "Yours?"

"Delicious. I love mango strawberry smoothies," She takes a long sip, then reels backward from the mega brain freeze she gave herself.

I laugh as she pinches her face all tight and holds her free hand to her head.

"UGH!" She groans.

"Maybe don't drink so much at one time?" I suggest.

"Shut up," She sticks out her tongue at me and makes me giggle. This is why I don't home school. If I did, I would have started when I was young, which is where I met Jolene, at our old school. I wouldn't have her to tease when she did something without sense and no one would make fun of my diet because anyone I knew would be in gymnastics on the same diet.

Jolene and I have a healthy relationship of making fun of each other.

"Oh, Car, I wanted to do a little bit of make up for my formal, but you know I suck at it. Can you?"