Chapter Two: Gin and Fog

Copyright ©️ 2019 Kristin Sample All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written consent of the author.

 No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written consent of the author

By Thursday of that week, Skylar Clarke found a new problem to vex her

By Thursday of that week, Skylar Clarke found a new problem to vex her. Will bought Zoe a small heart-shaped diamond pendant. A chip really, but Skylar wanted to possess that necklace the way she wanted to possess Will. The gift reopened all the rejection of the break up. It wasn't pretty.

It had been months since the Will-Skylar divorce. Countless rebound boyfriends. Even a rumor that Skylar let the Varsity basketball team have their way with her at Homecoming. And Derrick was around more and more.

But that stupid necklace made Skylar's whole world this festering crater of unrequited love. This void was surrounded by a pool of half-crystallized syrup—Skylar's overly saccharine interactions with Zoe. If Will gave that necklace to Skylar, she would have laughed in his face. The irony both bemused and incensed Hannah.

The only solution: house party. An impromptu get together, Skylar swore to Hannah. It was, after all, the night before auditions. But the Evite and fifty people would suggest otherwise.

Auditions were always the first Saturday in March at 9 a.m. sharp. The musical shared the campus with softball clinics, Speech and Debate, and Gaelic Society planning their St. Patrick's Day Bash. A motley crew they were.

Skylar's dad was away on business with his new wife Katrina Torres-Clarke. They went to Sun Valley to put the vacation home on the market. The home that Skylar's mom custom built. She adored that place like it was another child. Every detail handpicked. Skylar said that her dad wouldn't make back half of what he spent on it. But Katrina wanted a place somewhere warmer.

"Of course, she wants something else. Do you think Katrina Torres from the Boogie Down Bronx skis? You think she rides?" Skylar sniped. Hannah stood there irrelevant while Skylar whined to Derrick about Katrina's ridiculously long fake nails.

Wonder who she hates more...Zoe or her stepmom? Total toss-up. And look at Derrick. Skylar's just chatting away while he's conversing with her boobs. If there's one subject that could get the calculating Skylar Clarke chatting like a mom after a glass of Chardonnay, it was Katrina. Derrick seems pleased with the attention though. Anyone would be.