Breaking and Binding

It was a painless process. In fact, Mercy was somewhat disappointed at how mundane the magic was that Mister Bawden performed on her. He stood before her, a book cracked open in one hand and the other waving in slow circles around her face while he murmured nonsensically. And then it was over, no sparks or dizzying colors flashing before her eyes. Afterwards, he had situated her at a desk in the back of the room. Ramsey dropped a stack of books next to her with a pot of ink and a few pieces of scratch paper.

"If you truly wish to understand the curse your are under, you should begin with the foundations of the study," Bawden explained. "This particular book is a very informative piece of work, start with it. You must learn the history of the area if you are to understand your place in it."

Mercy winced as she read the title. It was a brief history of the mineral samples in the Massachusetts bay area. She was educated, but never claimed to be a great pupil. In truth, Mercy was not fond of reading, not when there was a game of cards to be played or a walk to be taken, but she didn't argue. This was her only chance to understand the doom her father had brought upon her.

After a half an hour of slogging through the tedious work, Mercy leaned her cheek on the heel of her hand. She was beginning to question the truth of what Bawden had told her. If not for Enoch Ramsey's own confidence in her situation, and the singular dread that she was trying to ward off, she might not have believed Cyril Bawden. 

Her eyes wandered to the shelf next to her. It was filled with her father's books that needed to be rebound. A slim volume was propped up at the bottom, the cover a shade of rusty oxblood. Mercy arched a brow in interest. Glancing over her shoulder to make sure that the men were sufficiently distracted, she snatched the book from the shelf. It had a simple title, Breaking and Binding. She began to read.

The initial chapters were about human interactions with creatures of the supernatural, how magicians of the past had harnessed those dwelling in the other world and used them for their own purposes. It hearkened back often to the famous German myth of Doctor Faust. The dread in her heart spread like an ink stain as she read. There was always a price to dealing with the darkness and a heavy one. The final chapters were about the proper etiquette in dealing with the beings and how to cut deals that benefited the mortal.

"That is not the book you were given to read," a voice growled low behind her. Mercy whipped around to find Ramsey standing over her with a glowering expression. He lowered his heavy brows as he studied the open book on her desk. "Is that one of your father's books? I do not recognize it."

"I believe so," Mercy replied in a whisper with a wary glance towards the hearth where Mister Bawden sat immersed his work. "The other book was... dull."

Ramsey's expression did not change as he stared down at her. With a sigh, he leaned over and gently took Breaking and Binding. He flipped through the pages and paused to read one, while Mercy fiddled with her fine pen. Ramsey glanced up at her, his mouth twisting in thought and a strand of hair falling over his right eye.

"I believe it would be wise for you to continue in the work you were given," he said, pocketing the book. "But I promise, I shall delve deeper into this one. It sparks my interest as well." He patted the back of her chair, his fingertips grazing the fine lace of her chemisette at her shoulder, before returning to his business logs.

Biting her lower lip, Mercy smirked as she glanced towards the shelf of books next to her once more. She grabbed another and read it in her lap. It proved to be much more interesting as well about the vicious local war with a infamous leader of the Wampanoag tribe, King Philip.  

Mister Bawden had their midday meal brought to them in the library and insisted Mercy study while she ate.

"How are you enjoying the works on mineralogy in the area? I say it's always best to begin with the foundations of a land before learning what happened on it." Bawden asked, his eyes narrowing as he inspected her desk.

Mercy had been sketching a series of wolf figures along the edge of her paper. They chased ink blots and a crude figure of a deer around her sparse notes. She quickly hid it under the book. "It is quite... diverting."

"Mineralogy is not to be found diverting, Miss Savage."

"Oh no, that was the wrong choice of words," she apologized, wetting her lips. "I meant informative."

Bawden nodded vaguely, turning once more to the papers in his own long hands. Mercy glanced behind him. Ramsey set down his tea cup and leaned against a large step ladder, engrossed in another book. He looked up from a page of Breaking and Binding and met her eyes. Mercy turned away from his thoughtful gaze.

"You may be excused for the day, Miss Savage," Mister Bawden said, taking the book on natural history from her. She flushed as he noted how little progress she had made in it. "I expect more dedication from you come tomorrow. I cannot stress to you the seriousness of your condition."

"Thank you for your instruction, Mister Bawden. I promise to apply myself better tomorrow," she replied as she stood, her legs stiff from sitting for so long.

When she returned to her room, Sarah was cheerfully laying out a nice tea for her with scones and lemon cake. "Thank you, Sarah. Tell me, how are you adjusting to the abbey?"

"Very well, Miss. Though it is a haunting old place," Sarah answered as she built up the fire.

Mercy poured herself a cup of tea. "And the other servants... have they been welcoming?"

Sarah paused, but did not turn around. "They are country people to be sure, though very kind."

"The young footman Eli is a nice young man," Mercy added subtly.

She had noticed how the chamber maid had made eyes at her fellow servant. Though in Boston, her father never would have stood for her being friends with someone below her station, Bawden didn't take too much interest in her choices at Northcairn. There was no one else Mercy felt that she could reach out in hopes of friendship with... well, almost no one else. 

Sarah bit back a brazen smile. "I thought the same. We met earlier today... in the larder."

Mercy almost choked on her sip of tea. "It would probably be best to keep your trysts secret as possible in the future. I do not mind, of course, but my guardian may take offense."

"Yes, Miss." Sarah bobbed a curtsy. "I am sorry if I embarrassed you. My mother always said I was born with too much of the devil in me. But Eli with his wild, dark eyes, it was almost too much-"

"Yes, of course." Mercy cut her off with a nervous laugh. "Yes, you don't need to explain, Sarah. I understand you."

Perhaps she understood her maid's weakness a little too well. She recalled the feel of Enoch Ramsey's hands as they wrapped around hers and held the cup of tea to her mouth. One moment he could have all his attention on her then the next act as though she wasn't in the room at all. 

Mercy fought the impulse to slap her own cheek to bring herself back to her senses. He was a servant, well below her station. And someone she had only just met. Why did she feel so drawn to him?

"Miss?"

Mercy blinked up at Sarah. "I'm sorry, you may go, Sarah. Thank you."