Chapter 1.

The aroma of lavender, and pancakes filled the small home. A white, three bedroom home. The birds chirping outside, and the sun's rays shining through windows.
Slowly, Rosemary's eyes opened. The smells hitting her like a car.
She always hated the smell of Lavender, but her dad loved it. She sat up, the blankets slinking off her body.

Rosemary is a thirteen year old, African American. She is about... 5'3?... She is petite girl. About 100 pounds. A very slim girl. Concerningly slim, almost.

The female stood up, her feet hitting the cold wooden boards that laid neatly together through the house. She quietly walked to her dresser, some of the wood creaking beneath her feet. The muffled sounds of her brothers, and sisters arguing could be heard. She didn't pay much attention, simply curling her fingers, as she looked at her black bedhead hair. Frizzled up, like an afro. She grumbled, grabbing her hairbrush, and creaking open her coral pink bedroom door... Her brother ran by. A 6', muscular seventeen year old. The oldest of the siblings. She called him 'Bubby', which was pretty childish now, but it sticks. His real name was Trevor.
She, slowly, left her room. Closing her door with the speed of a turtle...
Before booking it into the bathroom, shutting the door quickly. Clumsily locking it... It was always a fight to get to the bathroom first. They had two bathrooms, but one of them was reserved for their dad. So, the siblings used the other one.
She let out a deep exhale, slowly taking a step back. She smiled, turning her attention to the mirror infront of the sink. She grabbed her toothbrush, and the toothpaste, squeezing the toothpaste onto the brush. She wet it off some, and began to brush her teeth. Hunching over the counter, and putting her elbows on the counter...
She wondered how her girlfriend was. Her girlfriend's name was Betty. Betty adored vintage things, and dressed up in alot of vintage stuff. A plus-size Betty Boop is what Trevor called her. Stupid boy. Betty's nickname was Boop... Rosemary smiled. She loved that nickname. She always called her that. She hoped today her mother would let Betty come over after school. Maybe they could watch a movie, or play board games...

"ROSEMARY. HURRY UP!" Her sister hissed, tapping her foot. A 5'5, curvy sixteen year old. Her name was Rachel. She was your basic sixteen year old girl. Obsessed with the mall, and boys. Rosemary didn't understand the obsession with boys .

"I JUST GOT IN HERE!" Rosemary hissed back, some toothpaste foam getting in the sink, as she spoke.
"YOU'RE ALREADY TAKING TOO LONG!"
Rosemary rolled her eyes, ignoring her sister. She washed her toothbrush off, and spat the foam out. Cleaning her mouth out with the cold water.
She grabbed a brush, beginning to fight with her hair to get it tidy...

After a few minutes of fighting with her hairbrush, and hair, she got it brushed out... She grabbed a hair tie, putting it up into a ponytail. Her hair went down to her lower back. She took pride in her long hair. Her father always said it was a gift from her mother.
And a curse, in her opinion.
She threw clothes on. A blue hoodie, with no strings, and a few holes in it. And jean shorts, which went down to her knees, with patches on them.

She left the bathroom, her sister rushing in and slamming the door shut. Gossiping on the phone about whatever . Rosemary stared at the door with her ocean eyes, before shrugging. Putting on blue and grey Van's. She grabbed her backpack, slinging it over her shoulder, and walked downstairs .

"Hey, honey!"

"Hey dad." Rosemary replied, slowly fixing her hood, as she walked to the door.

"Aren't you gonna eat?" Her dad turned to look at her, a brow raised in question. Her dad was about 6'4, and muscular as well. He had a slight stubble, and curly hair. His hair almost like... Coryxkenshins. A youtuber Rosemary liked, even tho his videos came out a long time ago.

"No, I'm alright dad." Rosemary shook her head, as she held onto the backpack strap.
"Atleast come and take your medicine."
Rosemary nodded. Right. Her PTSD medicine. She walked to the cabinets, and popped one. Chugging a water with it, as she put the bottle in her bag.

"Okay, dad. I got to go. I love you." Rosemary said, beginning to head to the door.

"I love you too, Rosey!" He said, as he went back to cooking...

Rosemary stepped out the door, looking around at her surroundings. She walked down the steps, slipping by a few toys on the ground, and the car. Walking to the end of their driveway, and beginning to wait...

She slowly put her headphones in, and put her music on. She waited for the bus, her foot tapping happily.

She enjoyed life. She thought it was good to make everything worth while, and fun. She hated bad days... Especially ones when she got panic attacks. Her PTSD was a nightmare.
She shook her head. Getting it off her mind, as she began to look at the sidewalk. Drawings, and writings from kids around the block...

She perked up, hearing the bus start approaching. It halted infront of her, as she got on. Avoiding to touch the dusty railing. "Good morning," She smiled. The bus driver didn't return the good morning, as she quickly went to the back of the bus...

She chose to sit there. Don't worry.
She sat down, putting her bag beside her as she slowly turned her attention out the window.

Beginning to trace the world outside, as her music played through her ears. The muffled sounds of talking hidden by the music that played through her ears...

She watched as the bus drove to the next stop, and open its doors. A scene caught her attention.
Some kids bullying a well-known LGBTQ+ person. They kicked them in the nose, as blood slowly gushed down their face...
The two kids who were bullying the kid ran onto the bus, snickering and giggling. The victim slowly got on, staring down as they sat a few seats ahead of Rosemary.

This was a usual occasion. People beating up others who were different... Mainly colored people, like herself, and LGBTQ+ people. The world was harsh, and showed no mercy. The pressure of it all always made her stressed. The world was cruel, and nobody did anything about it.

This was the difficult truth. Easy to see through the foggy happiness many people tried to show. 

This was the harsh truth of the world.