Chapter 2 out of 20

"What are the charges, officer?" 
Roshanda's mother sat next J'Keira fuming silently. If she was this calm after J'Keira was taken in, a good whooping was probably in order.

Not probably.

Definitely.

"Well, since you have no prior arrests, you'll get charged with a misdemeanor and a fine of $400. Or 300 hours of community service. We choose."

Her mother sighed deeply. "What were you doin' fightin' J?" J'Keira's mouth gaped. "Roshanda-"

Her mother looked at her with interest. "Roshanda what?"
She'd said too much.
"Roshanda hit me up to hang. Those girls pulled up lookin' to fight."

The officer grumbled. "Doesn't matter. When you were on top of Joshalin she was no longer a threat to you. It wasn't self defense."

She fought the urge to roll her eyes.
"There's another option, to which I may choose community service."

J'Keira's mother piped up immediately. "You leave Englewood."

"What?" J'Keira yelled. "Mom! This isn't an option is it?" J'Keira's mom just looked at her. "Well, your father and I were talking about us moving anyway. To uh, Green Park."

J'Keira's mouth just hung wide open. "Are you kidding me? Mom!"

J'Keira's mom just looked at her. "Sorry baby. It just ain't safe here no more. This situation is just another reason why."

J'Keira looked straight at the officer. "Why? Why I gotta leave? I'm fine right here." He just shook his head.

Collapsing back in her seat, J'Keira scoffed and a small tear ran down her cheek. Englewood was her home. All her friends were here. She was free to be unapologetically her. Nobody else would accept her. She knew they wouldn't.

Why they got home, J'Keira waited for her whooping. But it never came. Her mother just called her into the living room. J'Keira walked slowly, savoring every aspect of the house. The peeling paint on the walls; the creaky floorboards. Chloe, J'Keira's dad, and her mother sat in the living room, their faces grim.

"Why can't we stay?" J'Keira cried as she collapsed on the ground dramatically. "It just ain't safe J. The sound of gunshots help you sleep at night. The siren helps calm your nerves. How can you want a life like that?"

Chloe cleared her throat. "I wanna join a extra curricular that people actually take seriously Key."

J'Keira flashed her a hurt and broken look. "Clo? You support this?" Chloe looked away.

"Mom? What about your job?" J'Keira's mom just shook her head. "We leave next week. Go ahead and plan to hang out with your friends tomorrow. Say your goodbyes. We spend the week packing."

With that, she, Dad, and Chloe walked off.

J'Keira was heartbroken. She sat on her legs, palms in hands.

"I-what about Dashaun?"