Chapter Twenty-Two: Blackmail

Jennie's P.O.V.

I gripped Jisoo's arm excitedly as we waited in line for ice cream. Every so often, she'd look at me and chuckle, which I hoped was a good thing. I soon realized that I might be coming off as a bit clingy, but when I let go of Jisoo, she gave me an adorable little pout which made me crawl right back to her. Once we had our ice cream, we sat down at the same booth that we were at just a few days ago.

"Jen?" Jisoo asked. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," I said.

"Did the test say who the father was?"

I almost spit out my ice cream. I hadn't really thought too much about that part of it. I had my suspicions, but it was nothing that had been proven. Then again, in a way it had.

"Kai's the only person I had sex with, so I'm assuming it was him," I said, nonchalantly. "But the doctors didn't say anything."

"But I thought-"

"What, you thought I fucked every guy I was with?" I laughed. "Nope. None of the other ones were ready for it. Tae was saving his at the time, and I broke up with Mark before we could even do anything."

"That's not what I was going to say," Jisoo chuckled. "I was going to say that I thought you and Kai broke up months ago."

"Oh." My cheeks reddened from embarrassment. "We did. It's all kinda hazy, actually. But if I remember it right, I broke up with him a few days after our first time and now...well, you know what happened."

"I see," she sighed, taking a spoonful of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

"You okay?" I asked, noting her fallen expression.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She put on a fake smile. Even though it was good, I could still tell it was fake.

"You can talk to me," I said, reaching across the table for her hand. "You know that, right?"

She nodded. "It's just when you talk about the guys you've dated and stuff.... I don't know. For some reason, I always have the thought of them in the back of my mind."

"Hey," I squeezed her hand a bit. "They're unimportant right now, okay?" She didn't seem convinced. "You know, no guy has ever taken me out for ice cream or cared for me when I was sad or drove to a gas station at midnight to pick me up. You're really special to me, Jisoo."

"You're special to me too, Jennie." She smiled, holding my hand gently.

"Jisoo, I need to tell you something," I said. "I-"

"Jennie!" I was cut off by Yeji, who completely interrupted us. "Jisoo! I didn't see you guys over here. How are you?"

"Cut the sweet talk, bitch." I grabbed her by the shirt. "The fuck do you want?"

"Jen," Jisoo cautioned me, which made me let go.

"Is it wrong to say 'hi' to some old friends?" she giggled.

"No one's buying your story, Yeji," I hissed. "Now what do you want?"

"Fine." She rolled her eyes. "Jisoo, would you mind if I steal Jennie away for a bit?"

Before Jisoo could answer, I cut in. "No. Whatever you have to say, you can say it to both of us."

"Jennie," Jisoo said. "It's okay. I'll be right back."

Jisoo walked off, leaving Yeji and I alone in the booth. She was the last person I wanted to be in an ice cream shop booth with. Well, besides my dad. She had a malicious smile on her face that made me fearful of what she might do next.

"Go on," I said sharply. "Say it."

"Right, that." She smirked. "A little birdie told me that you told Rosé that I took the photo."

"Yeah, so what?"

"That was against my terms."

"And?"

"Now everyone finds out about the bun in your oven." She held up her phone, ready to tweet.

I panicked. "Please don't send it."

"And why would I not?" Yeji laughed.

"Because I know that you don't want to," I spoke calmly. "All you want is my demise, but that's not the way to it."

"Will you do anything for me to not send it?"

I nodded. "Just say it."

"Okay." Yeji put her phone down. "If you relinquish your title of cheer captain to me, then I won't send it."

I crossed my arms, fuming with every word that came out of her mouth.

"Do we have a deal?" Her malicious smile returned.

"Yes," I said softly. "Now go. You're in my girlfriend's seat."

"'Girlfriend?'" she shouted. "Well, that's a new development. Do tell me more."

"Get out," I hissed.

"Okay, fine." She rolled her eyes. "See you at practice, poser."

As if by a cue card, Jisoo came strolling back to her seat right after Yeji left. She seemed to notice how infuriated I looked, but didn't say much. She just reached her hand across the table and held mine, giving me a sweet smile. I returned it, but she knew me better than that.

"You want to head home?" Jisoo asked.

I nodded, and held her hand as we walked back to her car.