Chapter 10

The day has finally come, the day that the Killjoys will be walking free, without fear, without anyone to tell them what to do. The master keepers were very busy with all the guests coming to the mansion today, they wanted everything to be perfect, they were so preoccupied that they were less vigilant, they had let their guard down and that was good for us. We can communicate more to make sure everything was perfect for us too. I look at myself in the mirror, having to wear that vulgar leather outfit so that people, mostly men, can have a good show. Every Killjoy have to do a song and there's a group performance for major entertainment at the end. That's where my new talent will come in handy.

In the past few weeks, I have been testing its capacity and I discovered that I can alternate perception in an extend that I didn't expected. I can make you see people and things that weren't there and vice versa. So, when the group performance will come, I will alternate everyone's perception so that they will see the Killjoys dancing, but in reality, there would only be me on stage. During this mind game, the other girls will have time to find and kill their master keeper. After the song I can do my part and we can all leave this place only leaving ashes behind us. I put the leather gloves on while I think of every step of our plan. It was simple, straight to the point, nothing we never done before, it's a simple mission. Only this time it's on our territory against people we've known all our lifes. The emotional link with the targets and familiarity of the location are putting the success of this mission at risk.

I'm alone backstage, the other girls are hiding somewhere in the mansion, close to their master keeper, ready to take on their targets. I glance behind the curtains to look at the crowd. Pretty packed, they didn't hesitate to invite everyone in the industry. I look back around the backstage area, looking at myself again in the mirror placing my red bangs above my eyes, looking closely at my make up, focusing on everything else but on the shivers that are constantly traveling from my toes to my cheeks. Making my thighs tremble every time, my jaw clenching trying to stop them, but I can't. I can't figure out if it's because of the dancing performance, the mission or because in less then ten minutes, I have to kill Richard. Just then I hear a knock on the door. I close my eyes a split second, thinking about what Richard will see when he'll open the door.

"Come in" I say, turning around in his direction when he opens the door. His tall figure entering, rapidly closing the door behind him. A smile showing his white teeth, I can't help but return the gesture, I have to.

"You girls ready? Wow you're looking good Mary" He says looking around the room as I twist his imagination so that he saw the other Killjoys. His ocean eyes fall on me, taking in my look before landing his gazes into my hazel eyes. He steps closer to me in his all black classy outfit with his hair comb backwards. He looks at his watch breaking the tension that is building between us.

"I'll go announce you, be ready when the lights go out" Richard announce, to anyone in the room while he starts to walk to the stage. Well, at least that part of the plan is working. Something that I don't really have to worry about. I place myself on the side of the stage, waiting for the signal. I breathe out, gaining some composure before walking on the stage. The music is even louder when you are on the stage. Every note invading my body, making my moves even more powerful. I can see Richard on the side of the stage looking at what he thought was "our" moves when, in reality, I'm the only one on stage. Not having any clue that his Freunde* are being killed right now, he's not aware that betrayal will be coming from the inside. When the song ended, "we" gave our salute and exited the stage.

"Great job Killjoys! Now go serve some drinks to these gentlemen" Richard ordered with a smile; I can't believe that he's actually happy about this whole masquerade. I imagined the girls walk out of the room, but of course no one got out, it's only in his mind. My master keeper places himself in front of me, stopping me in my track from leaving the room. Just as I expected it.