It all started when it was raining, as always

I live in a small village where only a few families live. It is called Hell. Yeah you read it correct. Who wants to live in hell? I mean seriously.Its always either raining or going to rain here. Always cold and gloomy. That's probably why nobody wants to live here. Or because it's called hell.

I live alone. My family lives in the city. It was raining again. Heavy rain with the cold and darkness. I had finished my work hours and completed an assignment which is due next week. Closing the laptop, I sat on the windows seat wrapped in a blanket.

The rain drops were making sounds against the window glass. I have practiced the art of being alone with my own thoughts by now. I preferred them than actual people.Out of the window the world was dark. The sky looked almost as dark as the night. The trees outside looked as if they were battling with the heavy wind.It was just a matter of minutes till the power goes off. This house is like hundreds of years old. So power cuts don't really affect here as there are lamps and stuff. Yeah and flashlights, of course. The lights dimmed. I got up to light the lamps. With the flashlight on my hand just incase, I walked towards where the matches are kept to find there were none left. I had to find the matches before lights go off or I'll have to be in dark all alone. I didn't like to be alone in dark as every other normal human being.

I remembered some matches where I have kept in stock although they were kept in the basement, which I rarely went because, that's where ghosts probably lived. A dimmed yellow light showed me the way through the staircase. I walked quickly towards where matches were kept not wanting to linger too much. An old box fell colliding with my elbow making a loud noise. I jumped and looked at it. The box had broken open with an ancient looking book sticking out. I grabbed the matches and the book out of curiosity and dashed just in time as the power completely went out.